SailNet Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't go anywhere you need "street smarts".

I'm a tourist on perpetual vacation. I'll go somewhere better.
Except there may be no better.

A big part of street smarts isknowing what street to not walk down when.

But I suspect you know that.

OTOH, even though I support the 2nd amendment I have never kept loaded guns around. My theory is a bit like your “go elsewhere” comment. If I need a gun its time to move. We had an attempted burglary while at home (Yikes!!!) but had already decided to move onto the boat. That just kept the door from hitting us in the ass.

·
Registered
23,144 Posts
I must say that it is absolutely, positively, and for sure necessary to visit the fort in old San Juan
100% agree. It's fascinating to tour how these old forts operated. Spending the day in Old San Juan is a must. I could go for a margarita at Gringos, right now!! Old SJ is pretty safe. It is usually crawling with cruise ship tourists, who dock there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Except there may be no better.

A big part of street smarts isknowing what street to not walk down when.

But I suspect you know that.

OTOH, even though I support the 2nd amendment I have never kept loaded guns around. My theory is a bit like your “go elsewhere” comment. If I need a gun its time to move. We had an attempted burglary while at home (Yikes!!!) but had already decided to move onto the boat. That just kept the door from hitting us in the ass.
There are lots of places with much lower crime rates than San Juan has so I’m not sure what you meant by suggesting there may be no better.

I agree that part of street smarts is knowing which street and when to avoid but how is one to know that well enough to bet your life on it when you are pretty new to an area and aren’t privy to such detail? Easier to just avoid the whole area with high crime in favor of places where crime is less common.

in the case of San Juan, that just means choosing to spend your time in an equally beautiful area just 50 miles away. where you don’t have to try to figure out which roads and when it safe to walk on them.

·
Master Mariner
8,875 Posts
Trinidad has one of the highest crime rates on the planet, but it touches the visitor or expat communities so rarely that few are aware of it. PR is not like that.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What about gated communities? Presume they exist in PR? Cant say I recall seeing any though.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts