SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our marina harbormaster came back from a conference saying the Washington state was poised to make Puget Sound a No Discharge Zone. Anyone know anything about this?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I thought discharging here int he sound was already illegal! Heck, one can not even clean a bottom with ablative paint legally, with out a potential 10K fine!

Marty

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
I know it's illegal to discharge sewage (which for recreational boats I think is ridiculous), not sure when it became law. If you are boarded by the CG one of the things they check is if your Y valve is turned to your holding tank and secured in that position with a wire tie or something similar (if not, they will write you a citation). In BC it's legal to discharge except in popular anchorages, makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have been more clear on the details in the post. This isn't about an eeew factor. Currently vessels must either have a holding tank or a Marine Sanitation Device (MSD) to process sewage. A NDZ would prohibit the latter.
The MSD macerates the blackwater then processes it to kill all bacteria and organisms. Type I MSDs are on recreational boats. LECTRA-San by Raritan is the most common and typically are used to backfit on boats built before holding tank rules came out. Type II MSDs are on commercial vessels.
While NDZs in lakes, marinas and harbors are fairly common, the only saltwater NDZs I know of are Narragansett Bay and Santa Catalina Island.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I thought discharging here int he sound was already illegal! Heck, one can not even clean a bottom with ablative paint legally, with out a potential 10K fine!

Marty
it's worse than that. I remember reading about the CG cutter Osprey Got the nickname of "dirty bird" while stationed there because it was always dirty due to the fact that no soap can contact the water in Washington.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I have not heard of the no soap part........or at least nothing with phosphorous in it is highly recommended. But one can use natural soaps if you will around here. My marina is one of the more stringent ones from this stand point. They prefer you to just hose off. We do have pretty good pressure at the hose, so most poops will clean off. A little wax, high pressure water, most of it is gone.

A lot of the boat cleaners are now using more environment friendly cleaning chemicals if you will in them, as to not hurt the area. My marina does not like cleaning of boats, or fish or equal, as it can be a bit of a dead zone per say from what will eat and clean up this stuff. OR, if too much gets into the water, then some of the more predatory fish and wildlife may end up in the marina, which is not wanted either. At least that is the marina's reasoning, be it true or false......or some where in the middle, is another story.

Marty

·
Registered
678 Posts
I find it odd that that's what they are focusing on when there are 10's of thousands of diesel engine pumping raw fuel into the water through their exhaust every day. Typical governmental morons wasting our money!

·
Master Mariner
8,670 Posts
I find it odd that that's what they are focusing on when there are 10's of thousands of diesel engine pumping raw fuel into the water through their exhaust every day. Typical governmental morons wasting our money!
I have been living with this idiocy since California made it illegal to liveaboard a boat in 1968 or 9, saying we were responsible for all the pollution in SF Bay. Meanwhile, all the farms and factories upriver were dumping really toxic chemicals and pesticides, like DDT, into the rivers of the central valley, which drain directly into the Bay.
In Ft. Lauderdale, they were trying to force hardline sewage systems on the yachts, while one could easily see could see the raw sewage seeping into the canals from the aged pipes under the streets alongside the canals.
We are the scapegoats and unfortunately, the yachting community will not get together and become a cohesive political body, to defend itself from these sorts of governmental abuses.
Blame yourselves, not the powers that be, because there are enough of you out there, these days, with enough money and political clout, to get together and stop this insanity, especially in the internet age.
I have absolutely no intention of returning to the US aboard our boat and storing a week or two's excrement aboard, because there are no functioning pump out stations around. I want a bottom paint that actually works; not on there for looks and to make the bottom cleaning guys, now in every marina in the US, rich.
California actually tried to prohibit bottom paint on commercial vessels entering their ports, but had to relent because the ship owners threatened to boycott the state, putting hundreds of thousands out of work and disrupting international trade with Cal. So now they are trying to do the same to the yachting community.
"Caution Will Robinson, caution."

·
I don't discuss my member
2,627 Posts
...California made it illegal to liveaboard a boat in 1968 or 9, saying we were responsible for all the pollution in SF Bay.
Never happened.

I want a bottom paint that actually works; not on there for looks and to make the bottom cleaning guys, now in every marina in the US, rich.
Bwahahahaha! Right. :rolleyes:

California actually tried to prohibit bottom paint on commercial vessels entering their ports, but had to relent because the ship owners threatened to boycott the state, putting hundreds of thousands out of work and disrupting international trade with Cal. So now they are trying to do the same to the yachting community.
Not one element of this statement is even remotely true.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
TDW will buy everyone a round if you stick to the original intent of this thread and not turn it into a political bicker-fest.

I'm mostly sure.

·
Master Mariner
8,670 Posts
Never happened.
Bwahahahaha! Right. :rolleyes:
Not one element of this statement is even remotely true.
Oh, my, oh my. The bottom cleaner; highly skilled and well educated, I'm sure.
Once again you chime in and show your ignorance. I'll not argue with you. Those who can read and research will understand my post.

·
2,627 Posts
Skilled and educated or not, I know that your previous post was, for the most part, an exercise in ignorance .

·
3,506 Posts
TDW will buy everyone a round if you stick to the original intent of this thread and not turn it into a political bicker-fest.

I'm mostly sure.
It's really a tea bagger conspiracy against the rich left wing yachties who want to poop for free. Now everybody who believes in the freedom of pooping will be carrying a glock.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Oh, my, oh my. The bottom cleaner; highly skilled and well educated, I'm sure.
Once again you chime in and show your ignorance. I'll not argue with you. Those who can read and research will understand my post.
Post the research. Bold statements beg proof.

·
2,627 Posts
Post the research. Bold statements beg proof.
I wouldn't hold my breath. As evidenced by the lengthy PM conversation this guy and I have been having, he's long on insults and heresay and real short on facts and proof.

In a PM yesterday afternoon, he said that I called him a liar in this thread and that he wants a public apology. Of course, I did not call him that or anything else (I guess he just takes strong exception to being contradicted), but I did tell him if he can provide a single shred of evidence supporting any of his claims, that I would gladly come here and make an apology for saying he was wrong.

I'm still waiting.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Puget Sound covers alot of water! The Straight Of Wanda Fuca might be added... however as the law stands now, I thought all of Puget Sound already met requirements for a no-dump zone.

By the way you CAN wash boats in Puget Sound. The restriction in our marina is "no suds"... and all they sell at the marine stores is no suds boat wash.

Dave

·
2,627 Posts
I thought all of Puget Sound already met requirements for a no-dump zone.
As with any waterway within the 3-mile limit, currently you cannot discharge untreated waste into Puget Sound. If an NDZ is established, you would not be able to discharge any waste, untreated or not, into Puget Sound.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts