SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old outboard on my Ensign (i believe its an old johnson not sure hp or year) when the pull start cord is used it doesnt retract back in without loosing the screw on the top of the motor that I believe holds the flywheel in place.

So in order to start the motor you have to have someone sit there and loosen the screw after everytime you pull the start cord so it retracts then tighten it again before you try to pull it again (attempting to start the motor). You have to loosen the screw just enough to take pressure of the retracting mechanism without loosening the screw so much that something gets out of line internally (or the flywheel would drop down i think, not sure exactly).

Is there some kind of spacer that might be missing that would prevent the retracting mechanism from being pinched to the point of not functioning properly?

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like there would be a fairly easy fix for this.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you think the fly wheel is connected to the recoil with a bolt;than a mechanic is the easy fix for you!....

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you think the fly wheel is connected to the recoil with a bolt;than a mechanic is the easy fix for you!....

I never said it is connected by the bolt, im simple saying that tightening the bolt on the top of the engine some how pinches the recoil mechanism (or prevents it from working some other way). and im assuming (which i am familiar with what they say about Assuming) that bolt somehow holds the flywheel in place (or some other component) or else i would just get rid of it and find a different way to secure the cover.

I am weary of giving my marina the go ahead to fix it and getting a $300 bill for work on an engine not even worth that much (maybe it is idk)

You obviously have some knowledge of this or outboards in general, maybe you would like to share some of that with me so i can better understand my problem.

I am here to learn. if i never tried to learn about things and always passed them off to someone else for service i would then continue to rely on other people for something I could potentially learn. is it so wrong that i would consider fixing this myself.

i plan to replace the water pump for a couple outboards i have which i hear is fairly straight forward. why would this be any different. if i wanted to pass the work of to someone else dont you think i would have refrained from wasting my time and others by posting about it on this forum..

any insight/tips/constructive advice greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
The housing holding the spring and cord straddles the flywheel. Usually 4 bolts and the top of the flywheel is bare. This unit has pawls which can stick. Taking this unit apart and cleaning/reassembly is basic grade 9 shop stuff here on the coast A great learning experience.Especially if you let the spring become unsprung .Every one with an outboard should learn how to replace the rope and pull start manually if it breaks at sea. Get it ashore and go for it.

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The housing holding the spring and cord straddles the flywheel. Usually 4 bolts and the top of the flywheel is bare. This unit has pawls which can stick. Taking this unit apart and cleaning/reassembly is basic grade 9 shop stuff here on the coast A great learning experience.Especially if you let the spring become unsprung .Every one with an outboard should learn how to replace the rope and pull start manually if it breaks at sea. Get it ashore and go for it.
Is there a guide or any websites you would recommend to help me figure out the process (youtube videos maybe)? thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Type in outboard motor recoil repair, on YouTube. Start the job in a clean area so you can find the parts. Can be a difficult job, and very greasy ! Enjoy!.....Dale

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Believe it or not, kids used to learn this stuff by themselves without internet. I nearly always had a ford V8 or an outboard under my bed in various degrees of togetherness. Just consider yourself a late bloomer

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Believe it or not, kids used to learn this stuff by themselves without internet. I nearly always had a ford V8 or an outboard under my bed in various degrees of togetherness. Just consider yourself a late bloomer
lol. true. very cool. the engines arent mine haha, have to at least think i know what im doing before i can go tinkering

1 - 10 of 10 Posts