SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
150 up and your crew is holding the sheet and not cleating it!! Well I hope you learned something from this experience.
I wanted him to hold it using the leverage of the winch(s), yet, able to dump in case of unexpected gusts. Like I said, I was pushing the boat and myself to a learning point. And, I did learn a great deal that day. One thing I learned is not to be afraid healing over 35 degrees or more. I think the only way to get better is to push it close to the line, every once in a while, to know how to react when you need to really know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had an O'Day 30, and I know the boat well you asked in the beginning like some kind of a newbie what to do about lowering a headsail, after everybody was helpful and gave you all kinds of very nice answers and helpful remarks you summed it up by basically nullifying everybody's response.
Not so. I'm going to take your advise and add a down-haul. I believe I said that to you earlier.

·
Master Mariner
8,202 Posts
Our Yankee jib is hardly a 150, but in 70 knots of wind, I doubt that it being smaller made the job much better. Anyway, the furling line fouled and we couldn't roll up the sail, so we had to let it all the way out and drop it. We just blanketed the Yankee with the main and it came right down without any flogging or difficulty.
Being one of those old codgers that sailed before roller furling was invented, we most often dropped a headsail by either blanketing it behind a main as above or slightly off the wind as others have said above. I think the worst thing one can do is go head to wind and have the sail flog, especially in heavier winds. It sure shortens a sail's lifespan and leads to damage to the boat and injuries to her crew from flying clews and sheets.

Reactions: smitrock63

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tend to get forward of the forestay so I can pull directly down the luff of the sail which is in a twin foil. That way the down force is exactly in line with the luff of the sail and I am not getting beaten by the flapping, but you do have top be confident that you won't fall backwards under the bow of the boat - my boat's pulpit is in tow parts and does not wrap around the bow.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts