SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Sabre 386
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a diaphragm pump for the shower well that I would like to install a quick disconnect to make servicing the pump easier.

There is a strainer but it doesn’t always stop everything so the check valves need annual cleaning. The way the pump is mounted it needs to be removed from the wall and pulled out from under a sink and I would rather not cut/replace the butt connectors annually. It is mounted under a sink but the space is dry. Because it's hard to access, it wasn't addressed by PO in last 15 years. There was a lot of disassembly to get this clear access.

i have been thinking one of these:

but i don't know what the best option is.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
You're going to get lots of opinions on moving the connection to a dry location (very smart) and probably some regarding other connectors. But as long as the connection is never actually in the water, the most important thing is to apply waterproof grease EVERY TIME you service the pump. Do that and any of them will work reliably. Skip the grease and probably not.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer a terminal block (even one with spade connectors, but screws are better) over a mid-wire connection. Simply more secure.

I think there is a more fundamental issue. Is that the right pump for a shower sump? The proper pump should not get hung up by hair, etc. Not sure why there is a check valve for a diaphragm pump either, they shouldn't backflow. In more than one boat, I've had Whale Gulpers for shower sumps (sinks too). Zero maintenance, other than the clamp rings fail after 10 ish years. No idea why they don't make those out of metal, or some enterprising aftermarket company hasn't come along with a SS option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts