SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how does this work ? Is there such a thing as a slip with its own pump out or do you have to bring the boat around each time you want to pump out.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
generally - two ways

A pump out station to which you must go. Or a portable pump out that comes to you. That latter can be a honey wagon on a boat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats funny. A "honeywagon" would be the last thing I call a boat the hauls sewage. Thanks !

The reason I've asked is that the wife and I have spotted a few marinas we would be willing to stay in. I saw sewage line running down the docks and I thought I saw a few slips with the type of hose used for pumping out. I never thought to ask any of the folks we spoke to.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,623 Posts
Thats funny. A "honeywagon" would be the last thing I call a boat the hauls sewage. Thanks !

The reason I've asked is that the wife and I have spotted a few marinas we would be willing to stay in. I saw sewage line running down the docks and I thought I saw a few slips with the type of hose used for pumping out. I never thought to ask any of the folks we spoke to.
Some marinas do offer a sewage pumpout at each individual slip. But they are few and far in between.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You do plan on leaving the slip occasionally, don't you? ;)

Our marina offers free pump out if you go to the fuel dock, or they will come to you for a small fee. I think they only operate their mobile honey wagon once a week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The head situation is more complicated than we would like due to reasons that I will not go into. There are always some obstacles to overcome. We are just doing our research. Thanks !

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
I've been at both types of marina: pump at fuel dock, pump boat comes to you.

Once you've become used to the pump boat coming to you, it's hard to go back. We leave the dock frequently, but are often tired when we return and making two landings is not welcome, especially if fenders would need to be swapped. Since the pump boat typically services the transients too, it is common for them to limit seasonal slips to something like a Mon or Tue, when things are slower.

Our current marina does not have a pump boat. Since we leave on Mon or Tues and return on Fri, it was very nice to have the tank emptied while we were away. Now, tank bacteria maintenance is much more critical.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Heh heh, I have an odd arrangement. My P30 has no real holding tank. If it did, it's gone now. The PO plumbed the toilet discharge to a 5 gallon, plastic fuel can.

When it's full, I just disconnect it and put it in the back of my truck and take it home, where I pour it into my home's sewage access point in my back yard. (I wear chemical protection gloves to ward off any splash that might occur) My house is 20 seconds from the boat, so this isn't a real hassle.

The only downside, is that 5 gallons isn't much capacity.

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
....The only downside, is that 5 gallons isn't much capacity.
I'll say, since a proper flush that elimates sewage from the waste lines usually takes a minimum of one gallon of clear water. I suppose it depends on your set up. Most fail to properly clear their lines. Solids typically take more to fully push through.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
My lines are VERY short, and I usually refrain from urinating in the head because it's wasteful. I go over the side, unless I'm singlehanding or it's rough out.

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
....I usually refrain from urinating in the head because it's wasteful. I go over the side.....
You mean in theory, right? You wouldn't want to get the Chessey environ protectors to come down on you.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Sure, in theory. While we're speaking hypothetically, urine is sterile. It's feces that contains harmful bacteria. I'd never drop a poo in inland waters.

Hypothetically speaking.

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
Annapolis Harbor runs a pumpout boat that will come to your slip in season. Here in the Caribbean there are no pump out stations East of St. thomas that I am aware of. The Charter boats are amost all dirct overboard plumbed. Palmas Del Mar Marina in Puerto Rico has fancy in-slip pump out and fueling

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
Sure, in theory. While we're speaking hypothetically, urine is sterile. It's feces that contains harmful bacteria. I'd never drop a poo in inland waters.

Hypothetically speaking.
No argument from me. However, the environmental police do not distinguish between the two.

·
Relapsing
155 Posts
generally - two ways

A pump out station to which you must go. Or a portable pump out that comes to you. That latter can be a honey wagon on a boat.
At the Charleston City Marina, it's the Poo-poo-canoe.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"such a thing as a slip with its own pump out "
Keep the boat on a trailer.
Keep the trailer in a trailer park.

Problem solved, they all have hookups at every spot.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Slips with individual sewage pumpout connections are common in South Florida and I've also seen them in some other East Coast US marinas. Some have suction pipe stands that are placed where every slip is within a portable hose length. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts