SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
There is alot of water for sailing in Charlotte Harbor....but you need to really keep up with the depths and your position. There are areas where there is ample depth, and there are areas where you can walk in waist deep water at high tide. But Charlotte Harbor is a pretty big body of water. You might want to take a look at the charts before you sail there.

Also, if you are entering the Harbor from the Gulf, and especially from the north....make sure you go out to the outer marker before you turn in. Do not take any short cuts into the channel as there is alot of shoaling on the north side of the channel, and while powerboats might take alittle short cut in by the shore on the north side, I don''t recommend it for a sailboat....that water is very skinny.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Personally I can''t say that I have seen all that many sailboats in the area. There are quite a few owned and you do see them out in the Harbor under sail.....I think it is more an area for powerboats. It may be that the local Chamber of Commerce is trying to drum up more business for the area. I know if I was going to do any sailing I would more than likely just go ahead and head for the Gulf, but its a few miles from Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte to the Gulf. My Morgan only pulls 4''...but I would still head for the Gulf.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have sail Charlotte harbor and Punta Gorda many times, It''s a great place to pull in for a few days, watch the deeph follow markers in to harbor to fishermen village, a nice place to dock party a little good food what not

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.