SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Everything old is new again... Love it...
its like these... yep, THAT is new an innovative!

You folks wanna tell these people that they make sails that work upwind as well? Oh sorry, forgot, the wings are better.

Why not ditch the million dollar project and buy a couple of these:

Oh yeah sorry, the barges/commercial vessels would have a cow with all the "sailboats getting in the way."

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm not sure that's so much an "article" as it is an "advertisement." Note that the only one they quote--who thinks the current ferries are so inefficient, and who touts this as such a great idea--is the guy who is trying to sell the "smart wings." Not exactly an unbiased source of information.

Yeah, it would be neat to see more sail-powered commercial vessels. And, if the day ever comes that such a thing makes financial sense, we will see it everywhere. But for now... don't hold your breath.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Yes I think the last place you would see it is on a ferry they have short runs and would not have time to set the sail .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have ever seen the dozens of different ferries which ply San Francisco Bay, you would see instantly why this idea would never work. As Miatapaul says, there just isn't time to set - much less mess with - a sail.

Big ships are another story. For the last 25+ years, I have read stories about various plans to put some kind of 'sail' on ocean-going ships that would help save fuel. I have even seen photos of attempts to do that, although the apparatus (a sort of metal square sail arrangement) was apparently very complicated to run and prone to breakage. It is certainly an untapped resource that begs for a solution. But so far, pretty much all of it is pie in the sky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts