SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself working near Barnegat Bay. (I live in upstate NY - near Syracuse, but work in NJ. Needless to say I stay in NJ during the week; usually 2 weeks) I was surfing the net one day and found out that there is an ASA sailing school just up the road. I mentioned it to my wife and surprisingly (after her first sailing disaster with me on a Hobie 14' in the Caribbean, I didn't think she'd ever get on a boat with me again!) she was game. So we're taking the ASA 101 Keelboat Course in Mid September.
Since then, I've been scouring the internet for additional information. Turns out my wife has also always dreamed of owning a sailboat. One of the pieces of advice in this forum was that fall is a good time to purchase a boat and that it's never too early to start looking. So I had a budget in mind and started looking on the internet just to get an idea what was out there in my budget range. (There is a lot!)
Looked at a few over the weekend. One was pretty neglected and more work than we could handle (It was on the low end price wise) The other was on the high end, but it seems in decent shape. (84, 28' O-Day:Shoal draft [required for Barnegat Bay], roller furled jib, inboard diesel with wheel steering)
IF the certification Course goes as planned (and wife ENJOYS sailing), will be making an offer (contingent on a survey and sea trials).
Thanks for all your help with these decisions!

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Ken I think all you have said makes sense to me. Keep posting and reading. One thing I find posting helps to let me have a record of my views at the time. I would go for a boat in the best condition you can afford. You will still have to fix it up. If your school of choice or a club in the area will let you crew. You may try out a few different boats to find what appeals to you and your wife. A boat is a compromise. Enjoy ,dream, have fun ! :)
Kind Regards, Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts