SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to hear from full time cruisers as to how they celebrate Christmas on the hook or in a distant Marina. Would like to hear any traditions you might have had? Christmas Tree? Lighting? parties? get togethers, etc.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This non-believer seeks out believers with food and drink. It's a tradition. Always a good time for all.

Tree? Lights? Gifts? Nah!

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I guess the biggest question is how does Santa find your boat? Do you have to have a bulkhead heater to hang your stocking by with care? I imagine you do need a chimney of some sort.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Susan loves to decorate the boat for the holidays. The decorations need to be sea-kindly. We sometimes have Christmas dinner aboard, but often will have a Christmas dinner or potluck with other boaters either in the marina or in our anchorage. Presents take some advance planning and we look for things all during the year, where ever we happen to be. We each have our hiding place that the other respects. If we happen to be in a position where we can leave the boat in a marina and either rent a car or fly home to visit family, we will do that. Those occasions are seldom. Sometimes we will visit family at other times of the year and have a Christmas celebration, even in July. We're currently 25 years into our 5 year plan. Chuck

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Flew home to freezing rain but warm family. Makes me give thanks for the boat. Can't wait to to get back to paradise. Spent the time so far shopping for boat parts. No budget in Budget Marine. Big saving in Port Supply. The internet took care of Xmas shopping beforehand.

·
Registered
557 Posts
We have spent many a Christmas on board, and flown home also. BOTH are special! One NICE thing is we have a fireplace aboard and that is the center of attention.

With snow on the dock, all the foot prints led to our boat. And with the front open to see the fire, and a hot buttered rum in had, IT IS SPECIAL!

Jill like to decorate the boat also.

Years back, in the 1990s, I bought a large plastic snow flake. It was white and sort of frosted with glitter. I was at hobby store and saw a battery operated set of LEDs that was supposed to be put on a sweat shirt. I mounted them on the snowflake.

A boat neighbor came running over when he saw them in the port, thought we might be on fire! :)

This is a photo taken way back....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL!!

Greg

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
The red led lights go up in the cockpit. The tree is a mini one with tiny LEDs.

Saloon decorations are limited to those the cat will ignore.

This year Xmas dinner was a pot luck at Secret Harbor after a swim before breakfast and with a cruisers jam session afterwards.

No queens speech for me this year!

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,677 Posts
every where you go you will find others who want to celebrate. there is no shortage of folks who celebrate holidays afloat.
wherever you are , you will celebrate as you desire and are able.
you dont change just beccause you are on a boat.
this season didnt have any magic to it, as it usually does.
seems my brothers spirit is very huge and no one in our family had the desire to celebrate this year. mebbe next year........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.