SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next on the list of projects is replacing some of the old sheets. I was wondering who knows of a brand that makes quality rope in small diameters. The few small sections that the previous owner replaced were with very stiff rope. I am looking for brands that flow freely or coil easy so to speak and not act like a garden hose.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My favorite lines are made by Samson: Warpspeed for sheets and halyards, and Amsteel for various other things

I never coil line. I learned from a very experienced fellow how to flake line and flake it from in toward the bitter end, which works out any twists the line might get. Line just needs care, no matter the brand

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not tried washing them. I think its just cheap rope..or can it be the diameter...there probably 1/2 inch or smaller. Even the few that i can see are new are very stiff like cheap rope from walmart.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What size boat? Race or cruise? Yale, NE and Samson all make reasonably priced lines. For stuff under 100 feet where stretch is not a concern, I buy Sta-Set on EBay.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have you tried washing your sheets? No, I don't mean bed linens, either. If you wash them in fresh water and use some fabric softener, I'm told they will frequently soften up. I need to do this on some sheets on our boat.
There are net bags that zipper closed and are made for use in the laundry - perfect for loading with line and running through the gentle cycle if they are really dirty and stiff. Otherwise just leave them in a bucket with a fabric softener detergent (stir them once in a while) for a couple hours, rinse well with fresh water and get a couple more seasons use.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Next on the list of projects is replacing some of the old sheets. I was wondering who knows of a brand that makes quality rope in small diameters. The few small sections that the previous owner replaced were with very stiff rope. I am looking for brands that flow freely or coil easy so to speak and not act like a garden hose.
I just bought some on sale sta set not sta set X which has a very stiff reputation

they are 3/8ths and 7/16ths and feel very nice and pliable and smooth...

will be testing out shortly

I heard samson were great too:D

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
ja I just dumped the whole lot of old halyards and sheets with fabric softener and didnt even use a bag...just in they went...surprisingly not one line got tangled...jajaja

ps IT WORKS

also if the lines are really really really stiff and they look new then you are probably looking at cheap polyester lines sold at hardware stores and the like...in an amergency they work but are very stiff

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
Been using Cajun Ropes XLE for all my sheets and halyards... Here is comparison chart for Cajun XLE (Novabraid XLE) vs StaSet and Samson XLS... 1/2 the price, good hand, great service. Custom splicing and hardware if you need it. Canadian outfit, fast shipping to US addresses.

Works for me... (no affiliation, just satisfied customer)

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Been using Cajun Ropes XLE for all my sheets and halyards... Here is comparison chart for Cajun XLE (Novabraid XLE) vs StaSet and Samson XLS... 1/2 the price, good hand, great service. Custom splicing and hardware if you need it. Canadian outfit, fast shipping to US addresses.

Works for me... (no affiliation, just satisfied customer)
I have heard great things from satisfied customers about Cajun Ropes, but lots of folks seem to think they (or more likely the maker of Novabraid) is a bit cryptic about the stretch performance of the lines. Seems like there workmanship is very good, but the base ropes they use are a bit suspect, but I suppose that depends on your expectations and use. I like that they sell whole kits, so you can get a discount and do the whole boat at once. Really good for a "new to you" boat so you know what you have and how old it is. But on a running basis it is likely better to just replace a few at a time as they chafe and get stiff.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The issue with Cajun is that they use a bad weave, which results in relatively high strength numbers, but astronomically higher stretch compared to Sampson or NER. It isn't that they are bad lines, just not sutable where you need low stretch (which is almost everything on a boat), then they bury the stretch numbers on their website so they are hard to find.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't like Cajun simply because for the life of me I can't find stretch numbers. Personally I tend to go with endurabraid for most things and uncovered dyneema (amsteel) where I can get away with it.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Samson XLS yacht braid from Defender is the best bang for my buck. i'm no racer, so stretch is no issue for me. I find it coils very nicely and that it has a great hand after a little bit of use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts