SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Although I am still emotionally attached... I have some thoughts about selling my Cheoy Lee. Does anybody knows about a website that specialized in buying and selling of classic boats?

Many Thanks in Advance,
Renard

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yachtworld is the main boat listing website in general. I don't believe there are any sites specializing in classic boats. Just take a look, there are 61 Cheoy Lee's there now.

cheoy lee (Sail) Boats For Sale

·
Registered
619 Posts
...Cheoy Lees would seem to qualify at a glance as much as any so-called "classic" ....They have built 'em a long time... since well ...after some research...1870 seems to be an accepted date for the yard's beginnings...They moved their yards from Shanghai to HongKong in 1936 because of the Rising Sun...probably have built a few classics over the years I will venture to say...though no doubt build-quality has varied as much as the types of boats/ ships they have built ...Cheoy Lee is kind of a brand unto-itself in alot of ways...not easy to pidgeon hole that brand I would say...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I myself am not sure what exactly qualifies under the term 'classic', but if to judge by various websites for selling/buying boats - the term classic is largerly applied to Cheoy Lees.

In addition, this is also the commonly used term I hear from experienced seamen, while I cruise the mediterranean sea. mainly due to the shape of the hull, it's thickness and the extensive use of teak wood.

and besides, through elimination - since you can't describe it as 'lucrative' or 'convenient' the only thing you are left with is 'classic'. ;)

·
Registered
22,430 Posts
Renard,

If you're looking for a special place where buyers might go to better appreciate what you are offering, put on your flack jacket. It's a serious buyers market out there and most will prove it. Selling right now is usually tough.

Best of luck with the sale. I would want the most eyeballs possible and be truthful in the ad or you ultimately waste your time with buyers who learn otherwise when they come visit. Its my number one turn off. If the buyer is willing to be deceitful in the ad, I assume they will continue to do so throughout the process. Advertise her positive attributes for sure, just stay away from saying she is bristol, if she has a 12 inch scratch down the hull and someone dropped a winch handle down the companionway. (true story)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I myself am not sure what exactly qualifies under the term 'classic', but if to judge by various websites for selling/buying boats - the term classic is largerly applied to Cheoy Lees.

In addition, this is also the commonly used term I hear from experienced seamen, while I cruise the mediterranean sea. mainly due to the shape of the hull, it's thickness and the extensive use of teak wood.

and besides, through elimination - since you can't describe it as 'lucrative' or 'convenient' the only thing you are left with is 'classic'. ;)
Classic:
1. of the highest class, esp in art or literature
2. serving as a standard or model of its kind; definitive
3. adhering to an established set of rules or principles in the arts or sciences a classic proof
4. characterized by simplicity, balance, regularity, and purity of form; classical
5. of lasting interest or significance

I think a vintage Cheoy Lee would qualify as a design of "lasting interest or significance". Nothing "only" about that! Call it that and don't apologize. Good luck with the sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts