SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some ABYC techs on Sailnet, and I am hoping that one can help me. I am a marine inspector.

Are an anchor and windlass required on a 140' crew boat operating on an unrestricted route in the Gulf of Mexico? Is there information in ABYC that would give me guidance on the vessel's required ground tackle?

I appreciate any help.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
LOL... I would think that a windlass would be a good idea on a boat that size, given how large the ground tackle has to be. As for sizing the anchor, it would help if you gave details about the boat, like displacement, beam, etc...

·
Anchorsmith
257 Posts
ABS rules & regs are probably what you're looking for, although local maritime regulations may have something to say as well - this I gather is your question on account of your mention of "requirements".

Note that legal or society requirements may differ wildly from practical requirements :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
When your engine suddenly dies on a lee shore, the question of legality will be quite far from your immediate requirements.

It is simply not good seamanship to go to sea without ground tackle.

And if you're not going to have a windlass, you're also not going to have crew for long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts