SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small pearson ensign. I am working on installing a very simple electrical system to power a mast head light, steaming light, and an anchor/navlight combo at the mast head. all of the lights are LED. There is also a knot meter and a light up compass with LED. The only other thing I would like to add is a charger for a phone (USB). The phone charger would be for an emergency or when hooked to shore power.

I plan to use a portable rechargeable fan for when I spend a short night sleeping over and I bought a couple of nice led camping lanterns for cockpit lighting.

My question is. I intend to hook up a solar panel to charge everything while away and the boat is at the mooring, however, I want to also install a battery charger that I can effectively plug into shore power at the dock at the club or if I'm at another local marina and it is available.

Both the solar panel and the battery charger connect directly to the battery. Do I need a switch for both of these so when the solar panel is charging the other charger is effectively not connected and when I plug in the battery charger the solar panel is effectively not connected or will it not damage one other to have them both connected and say at a dock with the battery charger plugged in.

I'm researching now but if anyone wants to chime in what is an idea of amp hours I should be looking for (ball park). I know I need to properly size things and figure out my needs. I've been working with a 100 deep cell battery at the moment.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes 100Ah will be plenty, so long as the phone doesn't become powerful computer, comms gear etc.

Best to keep separate from Starter batt if you have one.

Odyssey PC-2150 can be either, same model give flexibility

but FLA GCs like Deka/Duracell give even more capacity, much lower price and likely last longer, but yes heavier and take a bit more space.

No problem in practice having multiple concurrent charge sources wired in parallel, they don't even need the same setpoints, but better if close.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,516 Posts
Unless you go multi day cruising, you would likely only need a solar charger to keep the batteries up. I would just add a 12V plug and possibly a USB plug with volt meter. This volt meter will allow you to analyze your battery health or SOC (state of charge). If the voltage gets below your set level say 12.2 give or take temperature often you need to up your AH or solar panel size.

Do you have an outboard or internal engine? If so you should consider a 2 battery system to ensure there is always enough power in the starter battery to start the engine but that should also give you a charging capacity to the battery(s). I would hold off on installing an AC battery charger until you prove you need it. I have a charger I use when needed. I have multiple vehicles with deep cycle batteries. So this works for me on all of them and includes a lithium and repair mode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts