SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the New England Ropes Double-Braid Eye Splice Guide, they write, as part of "Step 1":
From Mark"C" count five consecutive left or right strands toward the end of the rope and mark the 5th left and right strand pair. From this point, count another four consecutive strands and mark the fourth strand pair. Continue counting and marking in this 5:4 sequence to the end of the rope.
Then, later, as "Step 4":
Cut and remove the marked strand pairs, starting at the end of the cover and working back to Mark "C".
Looking at a piece of double-braid:

You'll see I've simulated marking every 5th and 4th strand pair (aka "pic"), working from the right. Is this what they want me to do, and does the thin vertical line represent how they want me to cut at each strand pair? Neither the web site pictures nor those in the printed version of the guide are very clear in this respect. :confused:

Thanks,
Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
They want you to cut just the strands that make up the "v" you've marked—the three thin strands that go left and right that "v". Easiest way to do so is with a pair of scissors with a fine tip. Use a fid or marlinspike to lift the strands clear of the rest of the double braid, by picking them out...and then cut them.

Doing this allows you to taper the outer braid so that it fits more neatly into the splice. :)

Knothead has a video that you might want to watch posted on Youtube. Watch around 4:04 when he starts tapering the cover to see what I'm talking about. :D
<object height="344" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sQn5ZMKgNI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Damn, he makes doing that look easy.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They want you to cut just the strands that make up the "v" you've marked—the three thin strands that go left and right that "v".
Ok, so I did understand the instructions correctly. Yeah, that's what that thin vertical line was to represent.

Easiest way to do so is with a pair of scissors with a fine tip.
Got a brand-new pair of Fiskars just for splicing :)

Doing this allows you to taper the outer braid so that it fits more neatly into the splice. :)
Kinda figured, from the looks of the "after" pictures :).

Knothead has a video that you might want to watch posted on Youtube. Watch around 4:04 when he starts tapering the cover to see what I'm talking about. :D
Great. I'll do that. Thanks, SD!

Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Glad to help Jim... Knothead's video really does make it look a lot easier than it is for me...but he does a lot more splicing than I do... :)

Jim,

Better yet, send the line to Knothead. :D

Good post Jim and Dog, I learned something today. Thanks
Damn, we can teach an old dawg new tricks... :) And we didn't even have to use the cattle prod this time.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Glad to help Jim... Knothead's video really does make it look a lot easier than it is for me...but he does a lot more splicing than I do... :)

Damn, we can teach an old dawg new tricks... :) And we didn't even have to use the cattle prod this time.
LOL, I learn a lot on this site. And who are you calling old.:hothead :mad: :laugher

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Ummm... you'd be like 400 in dog years... :)
LOL, I learn a lot on this site. And who are you calling old.:hothead :mad: :laugher

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, splicing is one of this winter's "boat projects" :). (The other is reading-up on racing strategy and tactics.) I plan to get good enough at splicing double-braid and Sta-Set X to make my own eye splices for the lines on our windward sheeting traveller and a new main halyard for next season. Double-braid for the former, Sta-Set X or the like for the latter.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Be aware that you need to splice parallel core lines, like Sta-Set-X, slightly differently than regular double braid lines.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
:D Not a problem...just trying to keep you out of trouble... ;)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, he makes doing that look easy.
He sure does! (Finally watched it.) Thanks for the video , knothead.

Another question: On the front page of the New England Ropes Splicing Guide (it doesn't appear they show this part on-line) they talk about whipping. They describe two methods: The 1st is the method I already know how to do (make a long, narrow loop; bind toward the end of the loop; stick the end of the whipping through the loop; pull on the loop and bury.) The other method they call cross-stitching. The description and drawing don't make sense to me. Anybody have a pointer toward a better description, hopefully with good drawings or pictures? I've got the whipping material, needles and a palm, and I like to try that method.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts