SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Thanks again to everybody that helped answer my fenders question. I have another pair of questions that I am hoping to get some advice on. To clarify my situation, I'm currently responsible for outfitting and repairing five boats (2 J/22s, 2 J/24s, and 1 J/29) for a sailing club. My budget is very limited.

Anyhow, here are my questions:

1) I have an older compass that, as far as I can tell, still works fine. The only problem is that the clear part of the compass is badly scratched up and cloudy. I have heard that wetsanding with 1000 grit sandpaper can fix this. Is this true? Is there a fairly cheap way to make the compass look better?

2) I have several (approx. 12) winches that seem to be working fine, but I don't believe they have been inspected/regreased in minimally 6 years and possibly as many as 15. Figuring out what to do isn't an issue, but I am wondering if this is work that I need to do. The boats have several other issues to address, so is this a good use of my time? Roughly how much time should I allocate for removing, inspecting, regreasing, and reinstalling each winch? What risks would I be taking in not working on the winches? (Note: I sail on a freshwater lake, if that matters.)

Thanks in advance.

·
560 Posts
Mineral oil. Put mineral oil on that cloudy compass and it will look as good as new.

I can't take credit for this, I read it on the tips thread, but I can tell you it definitely works. I apply every couple of months.

·
Larus Marinus
1,756 Posts
1) toothpaste may be better than 1000 grit paper.

2) a poorly maintained winch can either jam or slip. Both make it useless. In a good blow, that could be a safety issue.

It does not take that long to strip and gease/oil a winch, maybe 15 -30 minutes - depends on type and follow manufacturers lube recommendations.

·
560 Posts
12 winches? Wow. That's quite the replacement cost if those start falling apart. I'd suggest servicing them all. Perhaps you can do three or four a year. Every year.

I would say it's definitely worth it.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I can answer the first question for you. Wetsanding with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit sandpaper works but will leave it hazy. Then you need to polish it with a plastic polish. I've used a liquid plastic polish on mine with great results, but I can't find the name of it right now. If I come up with the name I'll let you know.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
If the globe is plastic...then you can often polish the scratches out to the point where it will be useable again, provided the hazing is surface scratches and not deep crazing.

I would recommend opening up each winch and re-greasing them. Use light oil on the Pawls, and grease on the bearings. Cleaning and re-greasing them will keep them working smoothly for quite some time... If they're like my Lewmars, cleaning and re-greasing each one takes about 20 minutes. :) If you don't clean and re-grease them, they make become damaged if there is any grit inside them or seize up if there is any corrosion going on inside them due to a lack of lubrication.... :) Replacing them is far more expensive than maintaining them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.