SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: What's the deal with Bruce Roberts designs?

I would like to discuss boatbuilding with someone who has done it or is in the process.
I have built a br 38 and stressing over deck layout plans based on old plans!
FRP foam cored hull, wood epoxy, cored deck , deck steped mast, etc. Anyone?

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Re: What's the deal with Bruce Roberts designs?

donethat,

I'm going to move your posts into their own thread. The subject line of the one you tagged onto won't bring anyone to answer your question.

Reactions: blueocean

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Retired shipwright here what's the question I have built and or repaired with all but ferrocement

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im here
questions on everything, deck steped masts , 30 year old brand new volvo penta engines, etc.

·
19,488 Posts
Done.... you're going to have to frame your questions more specifically if you expect helpful responses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like toknow more about the coments about the skegs failing on br offshore 38 cutters. I have built one and although it has never been wet, makes me curious! My shast is 1 3/4 inch solid 316 ss. Custon stuffing box at upper shast and custom bronze foot bushing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice to have a reply.
lots of questions on lots of small details.
never had someone answer before and I type slow.

·
19,488 Posts
Assume you're discussing a Bruce Roberts (BR) offshore 38?

Skeg failures would either be due to poor initial engineering or poor construction, substandard materials, or physical damage through grounding, for example.. Hard to know what part you're worried about at this stage.

What are your concerns/issues with masts and deck stepping? Is your boat the ketch or sloop version?

By deck layout I assume you mean winches, tracks, blocks etc for the running rigging - presumably standing rigging chainplates are already in place? It's true there's been advances in equipment and techniques for these kinds of things in recent years, so rethinking some of that may well make sense.

But until we know exactly what you need to know it'll be tough for someone like newhaul to help you much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a cutter rig layout , yes it is the bruce roberts offshore 38 and built faithfully to blue water standerda.
This is the question. I have many years and effort into this boat. Do I part it out or does the hull design have merrit? Your or others opinion would assume quality of construction but assuming that , what is the public view. Im out of here shortly and dont want to leave them with anchor!

·
19,488 Posts
...... Im out of here shortly and dont want to leave them with anchor!
Really? you have to abandon the project? Who's 'them'?

This is a shame. Sure it's an outdated design by many standards, but many (most?) of us are happily sailing outdated designs. If you're unable to carry on with the remainder, if it's to a reasonable stage that just requires rigging and exterior finishing it should be attractive to someone - just don't expect to get anything near what you've put into her, unfortunately.

You really need to take some time to lay out the whole story so that we know where things are at.

- what stage is the boat really in?
- how much of the required equipment is already in hand?
- is the interior complete? Engine and mechanicals installed?
- where is she now? in a shed? your yard?

So many questions and too many guesses on our part so far!!

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I'm really confused here the boat if built well is well worth finishing or finding someone to finish her I also am wondering what you are getting at with the leave them the anchor part as to the skeg part it sounds to me at this point have addressed the apparent issue what other issues and questions are you wondering about? As to the deck stepped mast there are several camps on that part personally I am an advocate for deck stepping vice keel stepping with a proper compression post or structural bulkhead to support the stress load to the keel and hull there is no hole in the deck that you need to seal from leakage another person here that would be a treasure trove of information would be Bob Perry hopefully for you he will chime in here as well and thanks faster for your posts here in my absence helped me help the op

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks,
its my latest diagnosis and the reason I dont have the energy to finish my work. But it kept me going for 30years.
I will send you pics. Just for your interest.
thanks for your help

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
OK that sounds like you have put a lot of yourself into the build now to the serious part what do you need assistance with and please be specific. I need specifics to be able to give better assistance / advice to you generalities are hard to address with any measure of success

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Not an issue I have brain farts or as they say elderly blond moments all the time myself

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did a search, br38 , skeg problems came up on this site.
I was adavanced because the coments I was answering to were 2 years old . Now I am talking with people!!.
I know lots about boatbuilding. Sailing, not so much!
you dont know me and I dont know you but I would like to show you what I know and have done, in exchange you might advise me.
you seem to care about boats in general, as I have..
the other part is heart related. Hahahaha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts