SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
I'm really confused here the boat if built well is well worth finishing or finding someone to finish her I also am wondering what you are getting at with the leave them the anchor part as to the skeg part it sounds to me at this point have addressed the apparent issue what other issues and questions are you wondering about? As to the deck stepped mast there are several camps on that part personally I am an advocate for deck stepping vice keel stepping with a proper compression post or structural bulkhead to support the stress load to the keel and hull there is no hole in the deck that you need to seal from leakage another person here that would be a treasure trove of information would be Bob Perry hopefully for you he will chime in here as well and thanks faster for your posts here in my absence helped me help the op

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
OK that sounds like you have put a lot of yourself into the build now to the serious part what do you need assistance with and please be specific. I need specifics to be able to give better assistance / advice to you generalities are hard to address with any measure of success

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
OK here is the begining for my boat building career first boat for pay was a 14 ft skiff of my own design when I was 16 for a man named john Weyerhauser the boat is still floating in the fishing pond at the company headquarters in federal way Washington I have been paid to build and work on them since then from as small as 7.5 feet long a days project with my step kids to many ships for the us navy and USCG in the 32 years since johns boat currently working on a 1966 Spencer 42.
What are some of your specific questions

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
Here is a specific question. Is it possible to join two pieces of polycarbonate (lexan) so
that the joint either chemically or thermal so the joint is as strong as the original lexan?
Thinking of keel and ribs like a wooden boat.
Yes it is possible however the area just beyond the actual joined spot would be weakened to some degree think steel welding heat affected zone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.