SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I was replacing the core on my Helms 24 that the mast "boot" (not sure what it is really called, see pictures) had a wedge made to fit under it. The material used is all broken up and looks to be put in as an afterthought. It is about flush on the end that is towards the back of the boat and maybe a half of an inch thick on the other end, facing the front of the boat.

I thought maybe this was factory until I got the piece off and saw how broken up it was. Now I wonder if it was someone's attempt to level the mast because the core was soft on the roof. Now that I have replaced all of that, maybe I don't need this?

Can anyone with a Helms 24 take a picture of what you have where the mast connects to the deck? Is there a wedge under there or is it flush to the deck?

If there is, is anyone willing to measure the thickness for me or is there some place that might sell this piece? I have emailed Rig Rite to see if they have any idea, but thought I would go right to a place where I know Helms owners hang out.

thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I have learned that this mast was changed in 1985 and it is not stock size. Don't know the difference yet, but apparently that mast boot or tabernacle needed to be raised on the front end of the mast. So I guess I will try to make my own wedge until I can get it to someone that knows more about this and can verify exactly how much I need to raise it and a better way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts