SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've made the choice to buy a sailboat, i've found a few in florida that meet my requirements, I've even managed to assemble what might look like a crew to help me sail whichever one i choose back to savannah (although none of them ever sailed, 1 powerboater and 2 newbies who are willing to help and pay for beer :p).

only issue is some of the boats i'm looking at are on floridas WEST coast, and i don't have the time to sail her all the way around. (we're ALL in the army, and they don't take kindly to time off, lol) i know there's some kind of canal across florida, but i can't seem to find any maps or info, if anyone could help me out... cause if i cant get it through i might have to settle for one on the eastern coast, even if it isn't my favorite.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Here is a start......
Can't help with local knoweldge, But I do remember hearing that the water levels were way down last year.

Okeechobee Waterway Boating Information & Directory
Okeechobee Waterway

From: The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | Date: 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press. <NOBR>(Hide copyright information)</NOBR> Copyright information
Okeechobee Waterway or Cross-Florida Waterway, 155 mi (249 km) long, across S Fla., from Stuart on the Atlantic Ocean to Fort Myers on the Gulf of Mexico. Its main segments are the St. Lucie Canal, Lake Okeechobee, Lake Hicpochee, and Caloosahatchee River. The shallow (6 ft/1.8 m) waterway has four locks and is used by small commercial and leisure craft. It is also an outlet for the floodwaters of Lake Okeechobee.

http://www.sailmiami.com/Okeechobee/

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts