SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on hauling out my 27 footer next month for a bottom repaint (ablative), hull polish, change out a couple through hulls and possibly install a new prop, and removing current vinyl name and adding a new one. I'll be doing the work myself. How many lay days do you think I'll need? I'm thinking of padding in a couple extra days due to our peculiar weather in the Pac NW.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Are you the typical sailor or a 22-year old in top shape willing to work 10 hour days from dawn to dusk? (If you've got that much light next month.)

-bottom repaint (ablative)
Day job, unless you're doing fairing or longboarding

-hull polish
Day job again but I think I'd do it before the bottom paint so stuff didn't dribble on the fresh paint.

--a couple through hulls
Maybe two hours each if everything went well, maybe 4 hours each if it didn't as it usually doesn't. And you may need a second hand to hold the new fitting while you tighten it in, unless you also have a spud wrench.

--a new prop,
Another couple of hours, unless you need a prop puller or something else is stuck. Or you decide the cutless bearing also needs changing and that just doesn't want to be changed, or the new one isn't around in stock.

--and removing current vinyl name and adding a new one.
3-4 hours, assuming you've got the tools. Maybe do this first, so you can polish the hull after removing the old name, and before applying the new one.

So maybe four intense days, and knowing the way boat projects go, it could easily go five or six. Or seven. Make a list, make sure you've got all the tools and parts you'll need up front, down to the last tube of goo, and the tools to remove the old name.

·
19,489 Posts
With this rather cool "winter" we're having around here I'd be reluctant to paint the antifouling unless you can get into a heated area. Of course it could warm up a bit but keep an eye on the manufacturer's recommendations for application.

All these jobs could easily be done in a few (3-4) busy days if weather or other unforeseen issues don't interfere. Thing is, once you're out, you may as well do everything you need to get done so I wouldn't pin yourself to a specific time frame until you've a better idea of what's involved.

But don't waste those several hundred dollars' worth of bottom paint by applying it without proper care.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnks guys. good suggestions. Based on how I did on my recent ski trip, I think I'm reasonably fit -- but I also get the AARP newsletter, so I'm for sure not 22!!

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
Whatever time you think you'll need, tack on an additional 1/3 to try and offset the inevitable "wow, that's something I didn't expect." Even with that safety margin, you'd do well to prioritize your plan so the critical jobs are done and the non-critical ones are the ones that become OBE and not vice-versa.

Hope it all goes well!

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
I must recommend a stripe eraser. They fit into a drill or a die grinder and they make removing vinyl without damaging paint pretty easy. 3M makes one but the Astro brand lasts longer and is cheaper. Available at at Autobody Supply for around 12 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts