SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask you folks what to expect if I wanted to cruise from PR to Texas around October or so? I understand that sailing around that time you have north winds that come down during the winter and can make the Gulf a handful

I know that this time of year is the best time to come up to the Gulf because you have the wind and the currents with you............just wanted to know how bad does it get during October/November months?

Thank you in advance

Andy

·
Registered
847 Posts
How bad it gets is a roll of the dice. It could be too early for the northers to blow, or you could have one front after another.
Not to mention that the wind behind you could be a late season hurricane.
No point in worrying about it now, when the time comes just study all available weather info carefully.
And have a good boat and equipment and know how to deal with boat and weather.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Remember that this is the tail end of the Hurricane season. At this time the recurve can happen much further south than normal and you can be hit by a storm coming from east which passes you and then recurves and comes from the west while still gaining strength. With a fast boat and lots of fuel coupled with good comms for weather information this might not be an issue, but if the boat is slow, or cannot motor for 3 days non-stop due to fuel limits or doesn't have good weather information you are risking trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts