SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Comet 910
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Recently purchased our comet910 and am in the process of fixing her up. Looking in the engine bay reveals a lot of cleaning needed, but also lead to discovery of a loose pipe. It’s attached to the prop shaft and leaks water when the other end is below the water line.

the question is, is this my raw water cooling line, or something else?If it is for cooling, where is it meant to go? Of it is not, what on earth could it be?

see attached photos. Pipe attachment to prop shaft is circled. Also included a picture of what I think is meant to be for water intake. Many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Maybe just a line to burb the shaft log allowing cooling for a hot stuffing gland. .Ideal for letting the boat slowly sink if you don't deal with the loose end

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
it would be connected to a water source if in a fast boat but in a sailboat it can be just an air vent for the shaft sea. fast boats will cause a suction at the seal and not get coolring water at the seal not a problem on a sailboat

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
First you need to get a manual for that motor.

It is not for cooling water. It may be to burp the shaft seal or it may be to inject some water into the shaft seal. Without knowing what kind of shaft seal we cant say. Hopefully someone will recognize that setup.

Your cooling water will come in from a through hull and then through a strainer/coarse filter.

Als difficult to guess what the empty barb is for. Some motors have th cooling water flow through the transmission then to the engine. It is possible it may be that.

No offence but you sound a bit green. Thats OK, but you are on the steep part of a learning curve. It t fan be lots of fun. Let me suggest this book as a general reference, not bible but a good start. A used copy would be fine, maybe even search for an old edition. Might match your engine better.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That looks like the Volvo Penta rubber stuffing box (I've been contemplating buying one). It's a friction seal around the propshaft and lubricated/cooled by water. This guy: Volvo Penta Rubber Stuffing Boxes for all shaft diameters

I can't really tell from the picture but it looks as though there may be a crack forming at the front of the rubber seal (in line with the bolt on the coupler in your top picture). If so that is trouble waiting to happen - it may just be a seam that looks like a crack in the picture too but worth checking out. A sudden failure there could sink the boat.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

·
Registered
Comet 910
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe just a line to burb the shaft log allowing cooling for a hot stuffing gland. .Ideal for letting the boat slowly sink if you don't deal with the loose end
Thanks for the answer. Any suggestions what to do with the loose end? As someone else stated, I am incredibly green in all these areas.

·
Registered
Comet 910
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First you need to get a manual for that motor.

It is not for cooling water. It may be to burp the shaft seal or it may be to inject some water into the shaft seal. Without knowing what kind of shaft seal we cant say. Hopefully someone will recognize that setup.

Your cooling water will come in from a through hull and then through a strainer/coarse filter.

Als difficult to guess what the empty barb is for. Some motors have th cooling water flow through the transmission then to the engine. It is possible it may be that.

No offence but you sound a bit green. Thats OK, but you are on the steep part of a learning curve. It t fan be lots of fun. Let me suggest this book as a general reference, not bible but a good start. A used copy would be fine, maybe even search for an old edition. Might match your engine better.

Hi Thanks for answering. Have a sort manual but it isn’t the easiest read. I think it’s more a generic manual for all farymann engines but im
Having difficulty finding something more concrete.
I am incredibly green, no offence taken whatsoever. New to this and happy to learn along the way.
Thanks for the book suggestion!

·
Registered
Comet 910
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks like the Volvo Penta rubber stuffing box (I've been contemplating buying one). It's a friction seal around the propshaft and lubricated/cooled by water. This guy: Volvo Penta Rubber Stuffing Boxes for all shaft diameters

I can't really tell from the picture but it looks as though there may be a crack forming at the front of the rubber seal (in line with the bolt on the coupler in your top picture). If so that is trouble waiting to happen - it may just be a seam that looks like a crack in the picture too but worth checking out. A sudden failure there could sink the boat.
thanks for the help! And thanks for pointing out the crack/seam. I’ll look right into that ASAP. The harbour master was of the impression it involved a water lubricant system, so maybe we’re on the right track.

·
Registered
Comet 910
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you have the Marine Parts of Sweden called the Black Jack which is like a Volvo Penta seal. they do require lubrication and cooling water but on a sailboat they can work without the water line. they sell them both ways. they come in many sizes here is an example Propeller Shaft Seal Stuffing Box "Black Jack" for shaft diameter 30mm, swedenmarineparts.com

this is a good write up, yours is lip seal type so it needs to be wet all the time. Troubleshooter: Understanding Shaft Seals
Thanks for the advice and the links. Many thanks to the whole community

I’m sure I’ll be popping up with many more questions in the future.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
As long as the hose is good quality and well hose clamped it can go up high above, open ended and secured well to the hull or bulkhead . If it is damaged the boat sinks when the bilge pump wears out. Pearsonally I'm more of a fan of the old-fashioned flax type gland Some hands on may be required to maintain but rapid failure is rare

·
Registered
Comet 910
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As long as the hose is good quality and well hose clamped it can go up high above, open ended and secured well to the hull or bulkhead . If it is damaged the boat sinks when the bilge pump wears out. Pearsonally I'm more of a fan of the old-fashioned flax type gland Some hands on may be required to maintain but rapid failure is rare
this is quite reassuring to hear. The previous owner just had the other end of the hose wedged up on top of the fuel tank, and it must have come down when we took the boat out for a test of the motor. That’s when I noticed some water pooling in the engine bay. Sounds like I just need to make a more secure binding to the bulkhead. Obviously going to continue educating myself about all things maintenance etc but this has eased some worries.
Bulge pump maintenance and float switch/electric bulge pump installation is scheduled for this weekend. She only came with a manual bilge pump with a broken diaphragm, so this is right at the top of the “things to do before the boat sinks” job list.
Many thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
548 Posts
you have the Marine Parts of Sweden called the Black Jack which is like a Volvo Penta seal. they do require lubrication and cooling water but on a sailboat they can work without the water line. they sell them both ways. they come in many sizes here is an example Propeller Shaft Seal Stuffing Box "Black Jack" for shaft diameter 30mm, swedenmarineparts.com

this is a good write up, yours is lip seal type so it needs to be wet all the time. Troubleshooter: Understanding Shaft Seals
Overbored-have you used the Volvo type gland? It seems like a really simple solution but I've never seen one in real life.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Overbored-have you used the Volvo type gland? It seems like a really simple solution but I've never seen one in real life.
I have on previous boat. worked okay and bilge was dry.. did not have the boat long enough to know how long they last. last boat had packing gland never touched it in the 5 years we had that boat but the bulge was always wet because that is how they work. current boat has Sail Drive and no water in the bilge

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have on previous boat. worked okay and bilge was dry.. did not have the boat long enough to know how long they last. last boat had packing gland never touched it in the 5 years we had that boat but the bulge was always wet because that is how they work. current boat has Sail Drive and no water in the bilge
Thanks - that's good to know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The open barb - could that be a drain for winterization? My raw water cooled engine has a drain screw on the bottom - it is required to drain the water from the block for lay-up...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts