SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out yesterday for a couple hours. Cold and foggy in Charleston. Got hungry and wanting for something warm. Fired up stove and broke into Ramen noodle supply. Worked out fine but left me wondering. What do others keep on boats for quick meals or snacks while day sailing? Needs to be non-perishable. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ramen noodles and Cup of Noodles are always go to staples on board for me when I want something quick and hot. I do like the packet of noodles because I can substitute my own broth at times instead of using the salty packets that come with it. But the prepackage cups come in handy when underway. I often add a dollop of crunchy peanut butter to make a poor mans quick Pad Thai.:) Low sodium V8 juice also comes in handy when spiced up with some Worcester and Chipolte pepper hot sauce. It is a nice pick me up. I sometimes heat it up for a nice warm broth type drink on cooler days
On summer days I find a few pieces of fruit kept handy on the cockpit table and a bag of trial mix can usually carry me through until I get to an anchorage and make a proper meal.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,466 Posts
I will admit, hard to do as a chef, but we always have some canned soup on board. I prefer Progresso of different varieties, try to find the low sodium ones. A hot clam chowder is pretty tastu on a chilly day.

Other must have items would include...
Nutella
Crackers
Salami and other dried meats.
Canned beans and sauces can make for quick meal as well, I like some of the Indian Sauces...just add vegetables or meat and or seafood

Dried beans and rice are great, but both take a while to cook which also uses a lot of fuel, why its good to have the canned.

Canned fish suck as tuna or salmon, sardines, etc are good protien sources and easily mixed or eaten as is.

Olives, nuts, and similar are always on board.

Dont forget the rum and wine! ;)

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,466 Posts
I will admit, hard to do as a chef, but we always have some canned soup on board. I prefer Progresso of different varieties, try to find the low sodium ones. A hot clam chowder is pretty tastu on a chilly day.

Other must have items would include...
Nutella
Crackers
Salami and other dried meats.
Canned beans and sauces can make for quick meal as well, I like some of the Indian Sauces...just add vegetables or meat and or seafood

Dried beans and rice are great, but both take a while to cook which also uses a lot of fuel, why its good to have the canned.

Canned fish such as tuna or salmon, sardines, etc are good protien sources and easily mixed or eaten as is.

Olives, nuts, and similar are always on board.

Dont forget the rum and wine! ;)

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Try these;
Tasty Bite
Boil in the bag or just leave out in the sun.
Available in my local supermarket.
This is what came to mind to me. They are pretty expensive, but are really good. It is close to restaurant quality. There are other brands as well, but the Indian market really seems to have the sealed in a bag/no refrigeration required packaging down pat. Not even in the same class as ramen, though ramen can be really good, but making it good normally involves going to a noodle bar. Biggest issue with ramen is you never know how old it is, and in the thin packages it can really pick up some funky odors.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
I was out yesterday for a couple hours. Cold and foggy in Charleston. Got hungry and wanting for something warm. Fired up stove and broke into Ramen noodle supply. Worked out fine but left me wondering. What do others keep on boats for quick meals or snacks while day sailing? Needs to be non-perishable. Thanks.
Ramen noodles are fine. I prefer Mama noodles, mostly from the influence of my Thai SIL.

Like T37Chef, I tend toward for Progresso for canned soups. We like NE Clam Chowder and Split Pea & Ham. I didn't know Progresso made a low sodium product - is that the Heart Healthy stuff? We've been reading the labels pretty carefully and sometimes choose stuff with salt or fat to avoid chemicals. I've been known to beat an egg into soup to help reduce the saltiness. It sort-of works.

We also always have Hormel Chili and Bush's Baked Beans on board. Matzo. Dried pasta (mostly Barilla, some Contadina). Jarred spaghetti sauce (mostly canned homemade). Most of the year there are eggs aboard - always when we liveaboard. Goya beans of various sorts.

Always canned tuna - making a tuna casserole doesn't take long.

UHT milk in 1 cup sippy boxes.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
These, part of our hurricane stash.

#include [std-disclaimer]

·
Old soul
5,660 Posts
Kinda depends on what your needs are. If you've just got the nibbles on a warm, dry day-sail, then it really doesn't matter much. An apple, nuts, or a granola bar does us well. Tortilla wraps are pretty common on our boat; tuna, PB, dried meat, whatever... These can be quickly pan-fried if a bit of warmth is desired.

If it's cold and damp something warm like a soup or stew is great. Pasta meals can be easy as well. Cut in some cheese, dried meat, spices and a few dried tomatoes and you've got something delicious, warm and easy. Can do the same with rice, couscous, etc.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are always a welcome offering when it's cold. Lots of possibilities.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Plain ramen noodles, bonita flakes and boiling water in a wide mouth thermos, let sit for a while. Easy food for time at the tiller. Good to add a few sardines or anchovie.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Pretty much anything in a can other than tuna or salmon works out well for me. As stated by the chef, they suck!

Not a big fan of Ramon noodles, but I keep lots of canned stuff on the boat, Chef Boyarde Italian sausage ravioli, some of the chunky, thick soups, canned stews, stuff that I can put on the stove and it's ready in just a few minutes. Usually, I'll just heave to, fire up the propane stove, and within 5 minutes, a hot lunch is served.

Sometimes, while underway on a longer trip, I'll prepare sandwiches before leaving an overnight anchorage, put them in zip-loc bags in the fridge, then when lunch time rolls around, I'll pull out a sandwich, add some BLT, mayo, salt and pepper, then in a flash I'm back at the helm. This takes less than a minute to do if you're properly prepared.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
If you're running the ICW or similar day hops, Gary is spot on. While dinner is cooking get breakfast and lunch ready for the next day (including coffee) so you can get moving at first light. Extra miles are time saved and--on the ICW--earlier warmth.

His comment on Chef Boyardee reminded me of a box buried deep in the boat: Chef Boyardee pizza kit. I can't say it is necessarily good. I keep it because it was part of my childhood. I had the only Jewish grandmother on the planet that couldn't cook. She made that pizza taste like ketchup on cardboard; I think she put the box in. *grin* Still, with some attention you can get a decent pizza out of it and it keeps pretty much forever in the box.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I like the Progresso soups and beef stew is great on a cold night. I just tried Campbells steak soup and it wasn't too bad. You have to remember that on a boat under 30ft. meals get short changed, at least on my boat, little storage and no reefer. I am thinking of buying ketsup, mustard, mayo and jellys in those little to go packs like at fast food places that way I don't have to store large jars and no worries about keeping them cold that way I can bring the lunch meats, cheeses and bread when I am ready to sail, then sammies can be made to go with the soups or stews.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
God bless vacuum baggers. Before trips cook then vacuum bag individual portions. Make portions large. That way can have full meal off watch and snack mid watch. Freezer is always filled with them. That way if you have folks over you can just socialize instead of missing the good stories told in the cockpit.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.