SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Columba 22 I want to step the mast. and have been reading/ watching youtube videos. and saw a video where the boat had a quick release for when you wanted to step the mast. the port and starboard side. Along the lines of the Johnson inner forestay lever. Johnson Marine Hardware Online Virtual Catalog: SuperPage 35

I just dont have a good name or a place to look. quick release turnbuckle?

any help would be great

·
Registered
547 Posts
I used the quick release stay adjusters (see page 31 of the same catalog) for my Potter 19 but it depends on the size of your shrouds. They don't make one for shrouds that are thicker than 1/8" since the forces become too high to close that sucker by hand.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Used to have a San Juan 23 that I kept on a trailer. Used a lever like this on the backstay... Quick Release Levers - Johnson Marine Hardware | Fisheries Supply

On the forestay and shrouds I just used quick-release pins to secure them. Like these... R-Style Fast Pin - QRP Inc | Fisheries Supply

This allowed me to step and un-step the mast quickly and easily, and everything stayed quite secure. There was a period--about 5 months--when I was living aboard the boat and never un-stepped the mast. During that period I replaced the quick pins with normal pins and split rings to make it a bit more secure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts