SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POLARIS, our brand new (used) 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch should have departed Olympia, WA yesterday or today enroute to us at Seward, Alaska!!!! ETA in Seward, weather permitting, is on or about the fourth of July.

Needless to say, we are chomping at the bit waiting to recieve her.

V/R

Dave

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
That's got to be an agonizing wait. Try to distract your mind by watching cartoons, eating lots of ice cream and playing with silly string. This method has worked for me in the past. Before you know it, your ship will have come in. In any event, good luck with the new boat!

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
So THATS that boat that overturned and got drug for some 30 miles on I5 in Seattle today!!!!!! wonder who's it was?!?!?!?

Or was it the one that sank outside or PT in a cyclone?............sorry!

Enjoy your boat when it gets up their!

marty

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine overheating problems caused the delivery skipper to put in at Nanaimo, BC. Found BARNICALS growing in the heat exchanger. Right now they are cooking up bouillabaisse in a local radiator shop. Expectation is that the heat exchanger will be reinstalled this afternoon or (more likely) tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. He's got his son with him and doesn't want to take on 'passengers' without a certified life raft. I didn't push the issue, although I WAS a little dissapointed.

I've asked him to give us a revised ETA based on 1) the maintenance delay in B.C and 2) the ave. boatspeed he'll be able to maintain once the repairs are completed. We should have an idea within a couple of days, but I REALLY don't expect him until AFTER the fourth of July weekend.

BARNICALS!!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tip?

Assuming a safe and professional delivery, what would be a customary tip for the delivery skipper and his crew?

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: After a long summer coordinating the delivery of our new 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch, she is finally in her home slip in Seward, Alaska!

After our first delivery skipper quit on us after safely delivering POLARIS from Washington to Juneau, we worked with another skipper (and I'd be MORE than glad to give him a rousing recommendation if PM'd).

My wife and I, along with our delivery skipper, left Juneau, Alaska just over two weeks ago, dodged (sort of) two gales and arrived in Seward last Thursday at just about midnight.

The crossing of the Gulf was EVERYTHING we expected and one of the take-aways that we (my wife and I) have from our adventure is that our dream of sailing away when I retire is ABSOLUTELY do-able.

V/R

Dave and Sherrie
S/V Polaris

·
*starboard*
495 Posts
This is awesome. I can't believe Skipper #1 just quit? That's not cool.

I just recently visited Seward, it's a BEAUTIFUL place! So many sailboats in their slips though I didn't see many out on the water!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skipper #1

Merlin,

In his defense, skipper #1 DID deliver Polaris safely from Olympia, WA to Juneau, AK in spite of setbacks along the way. He turned his ankle pretty badly early on in the trip, had to sit out a gale in British Columbia and Polaris suffered three mechanical breakdowns enroute. I think, by the time he got her into Juneau he had just had it.

The really good story is skipper #2! He agreed to let my wife and I crew with him, treated us like we were part of the team, taught us a TON and was an absolute godsend on the trip across. As he said, everything happens for a reason and, now that we had a chance to actually participate in the delivery, including an open water crossing, I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

All's well and life is GOOD!!!!

V/R

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.