Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
7,626 Posts
He had a major impact on my life.
I loved that show immensely.
He did a great job at rounding out a wonderful, comedic character in some pretty shallow, whilst on paper, scripts.
Worst of all he, and the others inthe cast were left out of subsequent work because they were 'type cast'. Such a pity.

I was very lucky to grow up in the late 60s and 70s where people like him were part of my life.

How I would have loved to work on a show like that with comedic talents like him, bob Denver, and Alan hale. The weirdest thing is to see old 1950s cowboy shows where Russell johnson and Alan hale often played the baddies. LOL

Reactions: Irunbird

·
19,488 Posts
Maryanne (Dawn Wells) is scheduled to be at our boat show next week..

I don't think I can recall seeing the 'Professor' in anything else..It was a fun and funny show.

·
Administrator
7,626 Posts
Dawn Wells has a broadway career before and after Gilligan, but primarily after. I believe she was in many, many plays. (Easier if you are not after the lead role!)
When you are talking to her it may be easier to ask her about her work with the disabled. I seem to remember she did a lot with them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob Denver and Alan Hale were our Laurel and Hardy. I love the physical comedy they did, and Alan's exasperated looks at the camera.

I remember seeing Russell in "It Came From Outer Space" years ago, on the Saturday "Creature Feature" show that ran the good old black-and-white movies. Even before "Gilligan's Island", he seemed to do scientist/teacher/professor roles. He really brought 'The Professor' to life. I would not be surprised to learn that he had inspired some people to go into careers in science.

Now, where is that collection of "Gilligan's Island" videos?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Around 6th grade or so, I'd watch Gilligan's Island re-runs every afternoon after school. One of our cable channels just started showing them again, they seem to pop up every ten years or so.

RIP Professor

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
He was also a ww2 vet in b24's in the Pacific and he resided in my neck of the woods here in the pacific northwest he will be sorely missed by many

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
For most of the reasons already posted I will miss "the Professor" as well.
Another SN user uses "the Professor" for his avatar.
Condolences to him/her as well.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Elementary school and re-runs of Gilligan's Island

I feel I have seen every episode six times.

there was a comedian about 20 years ago that had a line:

"I was watching Gilligan's Island, maybe you have seen it. In this episode the professor figures a way to get them off the island and Gilligan screwed it up...."

The plot for every show...but it worked

·
Registered
119 Posts
I still cant figure out how he could make a transistor radio out of coconuts and sand but couldn't fix a simple broken plank on a beached fishing boat !!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I still cant figure out how he could make a transistor radio out of coconuts and sand but couldn't fix a simple broken plank on a beached fishing boat !!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, they had a transistor radio but when the batteries died, the professor did his magic and was able to somehow generate electricity using a coconut and some other items found on the island.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Exactly! As a kid, I loved the show but it made me nuts that they could do all that stuff and never even tried to get off the island.

I travel to Honolulu about 3-4 times a year and avoid the "3 Hour Tours" on all the head boats across from Ala Moana Mall. Makes me nervous. :)

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I liked how the people who ended up on the island were always a bit despicable... always leaving and not telling anyone about the castaways.

To add to this, often stealing ideas they discovered on the island --- like a musical hamlet.

curious--- was there an island that the show used...or were all the scenes shot on a set?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
About patching the boat, seems to me that was addressed. they didn't have nails or screws to fix the plank(s) and I seem to recall the professor concocted some sort of glue and they glued on a plank, but it failed and the plank came off before they had a chance to refloat the boat.
Does anyone else recall that scenario?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Exactly! As a kid, I loved the show but it made me nuts that they could do all that stuff and never even tried to get off the island.
If i was on a tropical island with Ginger and Maryanne, I wouldn't be busting my hump to leave either. Nobody was starving, everybody had a place to live, Gilligan had a car to drive in later episodes... sounds pretty damn perfect to me.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
If i was on a tropical island with Ginger and Maryanne, I wouldn't be busting my hump to leave either. Nobody was starving, everybody had a place to live, Gilligan had a car to drive in later episodes... sounds pretty damn perfect to me.
That is funny... now a days they would have five characters on an island, they would deliberately cast as personalities that wouldn't get along and call it a reality show.

It was weird that never even the married couple neve had any interest in romance with other characters

1 - 20 of 38 Posts