SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bubble heads before me decided a forward bimini was WAY more important than sail size/shape, and moved the boom up (about 12 inches).
This forced them to cut a new sail slug groove into the mast.

Anyway, since I could not stand losing that 12 inches of sail area the entire length of the boom, I moved it back. I basically fudged the slot closed with two slabs of aluminum rivited into place, but the slot is not smooth and slugs don't traverse it well.

I have recently been diagnosed with RA, and I just don't have the hand strength anymore to struggle with raising/lowering the mainsail, and I am just getting into racing this boat well (its smoking the courses around here even in light air).

Anyway, I was thinking strong track or sail track for the mainsail. Can anyone tell me if it makes sense on a 32 footer to do something like this. all I really want is a smooth slot for the sail slugs to ride in.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your R.A. I know that can be seriously painful.

I understand that a lot of people really like the Strong Track system. I am somewhat agnostic about Strong Track on a less than 40 or footer.

I considered putting strong track on Synergy when I bought a new mainsail a little less than 10 years ago, and so sailed on a couple boats with the system before deciding it didn't make enough of a difference to be worth bothering with. Then I found out how expensive it was and was glad I had already decided it was off the table.

Your C&C has a much smaller mainsail than my boat, but I also don't know how much of a problem your RA is and whether the track would change how uncomfortable raising your sail is. .

I had a similar problem with the height of the slot in Synergy since previous owners only had racing mainsails with bolt ropes. When I added slugs to Synergy's mainsail I made covers for the slot using pieces of aluminum angle. I cut one leg of the angle so it extended into the slot enough to be flush with the inside (i.e. forward) face of the mast groove. Then I filed the top and bottom edge of the angles to a near knife edge where it sits against the mast at the and bottom. I needed to the long leg of the angle to the radius of the mast so it lays flat against the mast. Finally, I bolted it on so I can remove the slugs through the existing slot.

I works well most of the time, but occasionally a slug will snag and I have to grind the winch to get it to pop free.

EDIT: Here is a picture. Hopefully, it is worth the 1000 words above.. I will note that they took less than a couple hours to fabricate and perfect. I will also note that is my old mainsail and before the mast was painted.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Sounds like you need to talk with a mobile aluminum welder to see if the slot you have can't be smoothed out better. He will have the knowhow and tools to figure out a solution. While a Strongtrack will certainly work, it seems like overkill on a boat this size.

·
Registered
430 Posts
We put a Tides track on our J/92 last year. Much bigger main than the 32. Our goal was to lower the stack height. It works great and I can hoist the main without a winch handle. Also reefing is easier since sail drops even when not on the wind Highly recommended

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
we have a Strong track on our first 30 looked at them all but liked the price and it works great. shorter stack height then any other. harken and antal the stack would have been 16" higher

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the info. The main on the 32 definitely IS small which is why I ask.

Maybe I did ask the wrong question. Is there a better way to smooth out that slot.

So you guys can help better I need a better picture. I'll see if I can update thread when I get one.

I can say the original slot was cut out of both sides of the slot, this one was deeper/wider but only one side. I took a stack of two flat pieces of aluminum, one overlaps the hole the other exactly fits the hole, but unfortunately not the inside curve.

The slot is uneven enough that the square slugs have gotten stuck and broken while hoisting (my bad under winch help). Round slugs seem better, but jam as well. I finally gave up and set a stop above the slot and one below so that I can hoist smooth enough without dealing with it.

I will add the masthead sheaves are likely shot, and helping to make hoisting tougher.

Finally my RA flare right now is taking much of my grip so I'm doing most things with mechanical assistance just to keep what grip I have left. I refuse to stop sailing, and sailing solo as frequently as possible. I'm trying to stay ahead of possible deterioration of my strength hopefully for only short periods. Safety being of course my first objective. I just started my medicine regimen so I'm looking at 3 to 4 months before I get some function back. Regardless I've really only been slowed by this about 3 months, and still managed a fleet 1st, and combined fleet 2nd, so I'm going quietly :)

Let's table this till I can get close up of the botched slot. Maybe add sheave replace for next mast top trip, which I guess will not be me now.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you guys actually do sailing races???
That's awesome!!!
9Apps Showbox
Um - yeah, sometimes it even almost fair :p Mixed fleet racing is like allowing corvettes and volkwagon beetles in the same race then attempting to apply a number to the difference in performance in all conditions. Its about as successful too.. Still fun though.

Sorry I never got another shot of the slot on the mast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts