SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a 2Kw Ray dome with everything in the dome and just a usb or ethernet conection out, this then connect straight to the PC and the Radar image is displayed on the PC. I am wanting this sort of option as I dont want to have a separte display unit plus the extra clarity due to the digital format coming straight out of the unit.

I can see that Garmin have these units but they only connect to there own hardware.
I have found that Nobeltec also do one of these units but you then have to buy a separte software system as well, and this maybe the option that I have to go with.

Currently I am using Maxsea and CMaps Cm93 charts and I would prefer not to have to purchase new charts.
Any sugestions or Options would be great

PS the unit will be on our Cruising Ketch rigged Sailing boat. The Ray dome is to be mounted up the Mizzen.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I don't believe anyone, other than Nobeltec, makes such a radome. All the ones I've seen from Furuno, JRC, Raymarine and Garmin use a proprietary signal output and display.

Maine Sail's questions about how you will use the radar are important, since most laptops are not designed to be used in the cockpit of a sailboat, and most do not have daylight-readable screens. Many laptops are not designed for use in 100% humidity, condensing conditions, such as fog either.

If you plan on using the radar while the boat is in motion, and do not have a pilothouse design boat, with a fully sheltered helm, you should probably re-think this and get a more traditional system with a daylight readable, IPX7 waterproof display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
relpy

The Radar will be used for spotting other boat movements, fog if this occurs,comparing entrances to the maps etc.
The display is a waterproof lcd unit (Secound Display) that is housed in the companion way (drop down housing from the ceiling) and can be seen in direct sunlight when at the wheel.
We have been cruising now for 5 years and have never had a problem with moisture issues with the main nav computer,
However we do carry 2 spare units as well just in case, as with all electronics there will be a time when they fail. ie lighting, water or just old age.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I was going to go this same route until I found that the software was more expensive than a nice Garmin 3210 on closeout. Not worth the hassle to me.
Raymarine sells a software package that will work, take a look at Raynav if you must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts