SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some funny, some stupid and some ridiculous boat names but what should you never name your boat to stop you feeling a total prat on the radio.

·
Administrator
7,606 Posts
"Urgency" US boat in the Bahamas :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did see a boat called "Sexy" and i just wondered how I would ever ask the wife to call anyone with that boat name.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Being Welsh I thought that "Boy-o" might make for a decent boat name....until I considered the radio transmission: "This is Boy-o, Boy-o, Boy-o..."
"Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!":laugher

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
In Michigan I saw a power boat named "Alcohaulin' Ass"

In the Apostle Islands last summer on the VHF I heard the Coast Guard dealing with a distress call from "Fishing Whiskey" (or "Fishing Whisky" if they're Scottish) — I wonder if they reply any differently to boats with alcohol-themed names?

·
Registered
210 Posts
While sitting at a dock we were recently rammed by a boat who lost control coming out of their slip due to the currents inside the marina.

The boats name, aptly enough: "Swift Current"

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
that one found adrift in the gulf of mexico "escape pod"

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I owned a number of classic wood cruisers over the years. Named them Murphy's Law. Every one of them lived up to the name.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS Saw a badly preped. racing sailing dinghy with the wonderful name NORFOLK-AND-CHANCE but it is normal for it to do well in the round the cans. It would be fun to call it in to the C.G. AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

·
Registered
42 Posts
About a year ago I saw a photo of a powerboat named "My Dixie Wrecked". Gave me a chuckle at first - later it seemed childish. Probably it violates Coast Guard rules.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
On a more serious note I have seen/heard a bunch of boats with names that drive the marinas and bridge tenders crazy. You might like manananjajajajkukuku (made up Hawaiian name) but i assure you the bridge tenders will not. Not to mention the Coast Guard of just about any country. There was a very famous ad years ago from the Berlitz language school. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9ukdMkN2c

Fair winds and following seas ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts