SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a multi function display & the next step is to buy a radome. Looking around the marina here in Blaine WA, there is a wide variety of mount options, from poles at the transom to way up the main mast. I have a track running up the front of my mast making it difficult to mount there. What about the back of the mast? Or to one side of my mizzen? I have a Bristol 40 yawl.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Yawl or ketch owners tend to favour the mizzen, because it's like a supersized, stable radar pole (and indeed, some yawl/ketch owners rarely set these sails). Another advantage is the rarity of the mizzen staysail; despite being a great reaching sail, if you don't have one, you're not likely to get one, and therefore there won't be a "mizzen foresail" to foul the radome as can be the case with the mainmast and staysail or the larger sort of genoa.

The track on the front of the main mast is likely the spinnaker pole track. You'll want that, because while the beauty of ketches and yawls is the smallness of the individual sails and the ease with which they can be handled, they are frequently undercanvassed, and a honking huge spin (or even a cruising spin on the right angles) will get the boat moving properly.

·
skipper
15 Posts
there are plenty of mounting options.

1. front of the main mast.
2. front of the mizzen mast.
3. pole mount at stern.
4. arch mount at stern
5. spreader mount on the main mast.
6. spreader mount on the mizzen mast.

or you could always just mount it on a stick and hold it up as high as you can.:)
(dont do that)

joey

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about the side of the mizzen mast? My mizzen has cable braces for & aft & I doubt there's room between the mast & cables, but one side or other is clear.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Generally, mounting the radome on the aft side of a mast is a really bad idea. It will cause a blind spot or a reduction in resolution directly ahead of the boat. If you're on a ketch or yawl, it really should go atop the mizzen mast.

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
SD, by the same reasoning, wouldn't the main mast block anything mounted on the mizzen - albeit at a smaller angle?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Not significantly, since the main mast isn't in CONTACT with the radome.
SD, by the same reasoning, wouldn't the main mast block anything mounted on the mizzen - albeit at a smaller angle?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yawl or ketch owners tend to favour the mizzen, because it's like a supersized, stable radar pole
..... and because there is no genoa to attack the radome like on a main mast install a gimbled mount can swing freely as the PO installed on mine. Also there is plenty of room above it for a Wind Generator that I will install one of these years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Radome

Thanks for the advice folks. Because of the cable trusses on the front of the mizzen, the dome can't go there & so I think I'll mount it on a pole or a bridge.

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
there are plenty of mounting options.

1. front of the main mast.
2. front of the mizzen mast.
3. pole mount at stern.
4. arch mount at stern
5. spreader mount on the main mast.
6. spreader mount on the mizzen mast.

or you could always just mount it on a stick and hold it up as high as you can.:)
(dont do that)

joey
7. backstay mount

1 - 10 of 10 Posts