SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I'm searching for a blue water boat in the 37-41 foot range and came across the Rafiki 37. I'm hoping you can answer a random question for me. It may very from build to build, but about how much headroom do you think the Rafiki has? My boyfriend is tall and we're hoping to find a boat he can stand up in.... Thanks so much for whatever help you can give!
~Laura

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hello! I'm searching for a blue water boat in the 37-41 foot range and came across the Rafiki 37. I'm hoping you can answer a random question for me. It may very from build to build, but about how much headroom do you think the Rafiki has? My boyfriend is tall and we're hoping to find a boat he can stand up in.... Thanks so much for whatever help you can give!
~Laura
It's about 6' 4" I think, at least I just had someone on board who claims to be that height and he was able to walk around without stooping. This height is carried throughout most of the boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike,
I have owned my Rafiki 37 for the last 17 years. We are on lake huron Michigan. I would be very interested in getting copy of the blue prints. I have done extensive refit over the years. I have a persistant deck leak on starboard side above chart table. I have re bunged and sealed all screws and reseamed, but still the leak. Any thoughts or sugestions on where else to look for water entry would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jim C.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hi Mike,

I have owned my Rafiki 37 for the last 17 years. We are on lake huron Michigan. I would be very interested in getting copy of the blue prints. I have done extensive refit over the years. I have a persistant deck leak on starboard side above chart table. I have re bunged and sealed all screws and reseamed, but still the leak. Any thoughts or sugestions on where else to look for water entry would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jim C.

Hi Jim, great to hear from you here. I'm impressed there's another Rafiki 37 on the Great Lakes. I wish I'd known earlier -- we could have arranged a rendezvous ;-) . As I type this I am heading out the St. Lawrence on my way to Newfoundland.

I've digitized the plans, and can send you a link as soon as I get my computer out in good wifi land. Not sure when that will happen next; at our next marina stop I suppose (which we've avoided so far).

Funny you should mention leaks above the chart table. We're dealing with the same thing right now. Ours were caused, or exacerbated by a poor haul last winter, leaving the stbd deck to fill with water all winter. We now have a soft deck spot and leaks.

Other than re-bedding all the deck hardware and doing the teak deck work, I can't think of other causes, but perhaps the prints will assist. I'll get you the link as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Rick,

I have just purchased one of these here in Sydney Australia.
I'd send you a link to the brokers website but Im a newbie on this forum...
I can hardly wait to get started on cleaning her up (its part of the adventure)
I would love to have a clear copy of the sailpan and also the interior layout if you have them.

Thanks

Drago

Attachments

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hello Rick,

I have just purchased one of these here in Sydney Australia.
I'd send you a link to the brokers website but Im a newbie on this forum...
I can hardly wait to get started on cleaning her up (its part of the adventure)
I would love to have a clear copy of the sailpan and also the interior layout if you have them.

Thanks

Drago
Congrats on the new boat. You’ll love her.

I have digital scans of the original blueprints for my boat. I can send you a link to them. I don’t own the copyright so don’t want to post the link publicly, but if you can send me your email address (via private mail) I’ll email you the link.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yes, the Rafiki’s boom is huge … something like 18 feet if I remember correctly. I built the bimini to fit below the boom, but still be above my head. It helps to be relatively short.

There are two that make up the bimini (each 150 watts), and two more forward (each 50 watts). All are wired in parallel to one Victron MPPT controller.

Here are some pics that show the bimini and vane. If I find better ones I’ll post them as well.

Looking down from the top of the mast, you can see the two sets of panels:

This shows a bit of the bimini frame I designed and built:

This one shows the bimini looking forward:

Here’s a view from the aft:

And this shows how it is attached to the dodger:

I can’t find many good ones with the vane, but here’s a couple:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your boat looks great Mike!

Did you do the external chainplate modification? Or she came to you that way? I like that stainless boomkin. That is something I was thinking about doing as well, though my original teak one is sound for the time being.

I am curious what product you used on the teak about the cockpit combing? Any issues with your main sheets catching on the bimini?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes Les I am in the same boat - regarding the 20 posts. I have owned my "new" Rafiki for a month now and I too have a heap of original drawings as well as a thoughougly documented history of my vessel since before it was sailed across to Australia - known at that time as Transit. Mine is hull # 15 built 1977. First thing Im gonna change is the mainsheet system, which doesnt let the boom run out freely and comming out onto the starboard winch on the coach house doesnt allow me to keep one hand on the helm.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Did you do the external chainplate modification? Or she came to you that way? I like that stainless boomkin. That is something I was thinking about doing as well, though my original teak one is sound for the time being.

I am curious what product you used on the teak about the cockpit combing? Any issues with your main sheets catching on the bimini?
Thanks Les. She’s a constant work in progress, but we love her. And she is our only home these days, so we try and keep her sound and functional, although not always prim and pretty.

It was a previous owner who converted the boomkin and chainplates on our boat, so I can’t claim any credit. I really do like the mods though. It certainly makes the boomkin extremely strong. But I think the original design was/is pretty darn great.

I just use basic spar varnish on the cockpit teak, and am not particularly fussy about how I apply it. Some people seem to spend endless hours fussing about getting the perfect finish. I basically aim for protection of the wood.

I designed the bimini to be short enough so as to avoid most problems with the main sheeting, and I was mostly successful. The only time it has been an issue is when the sheet is slack, such as when we’re heaving it off to one side at anchor to maximize solar exposure. But I’ve never had a problem while sailing.

Yes Les I am in the same boat - regarding the 20 posts. I have owned my "new" Rafiki for a month now and I too have a heap of original drawings as well as a thoughougly documented history of my vessel since before it was sailed across to Australia - known at that time as Transit. Mine is hull # 15 built 1977. First thing Im gonna change is the mainsheet system, which doesnt let the boom run out freely and comming out onto the starboard winch on the coach house doesnt allow me to keep one hand on the helm.
How is your main sheeted Dragon? Mine is end-boom sheeted. I think this is how most Rafiki’s are sheeted. With this I’ve never had any problems with it coming out. But it certainly is a challenge at times both helming and running the main. I’m always on board with my partner, although we both sail solo when doing passages or whenever we run on watches. It’s tricky sometimes…

My mainsheet is long enough to run from the winch aft to the helm position, but like I say, it still is tricky some time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello again Mike,

You had expressed interest in differences between our builds. I have attached some pics to mirror yours included in the blueprints link you sent me. Again, I really appreciate that!

I think the only significant difference is the layout of the head. At some point the placement of the toilet moved from the forward bulkhead to the port side, and vice versa the cabinetry and sink.

Hello Drago,

I would be interested in your mainsheet modifications. Are you thinking a cabin-top traveler? I suspect I will be happy with mine the way it is, but I am always interested in seeing what other people do.

Attachments

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Nice pics Les. Nice boat! Looks like they made few changes to the run from mine to yours. Our varnish is darker, and as you say, the head looks shifted around, but otherwise looks pretty much the same.

I do know that there were two options with the stbrd settee area. One version came with the cabinet/storage, as you and I have. But I’ve seen Rafiki’s (pics) with a pilot berth there instead of the cabinet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just found this Rafiki 37 in my area.
I'll contact to owner to arrange a look.
Trying to upsize from a Hunter 28.5
I have to post 2 more times... thought I'd been posting more here... guess not.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Looks pretty rough from the outside. Seems like it’s been long-neglected.

I can’t see any hull problems, but impossible to know from pics. Teak has been neglected, and there are some questionable issues on the deck, but none of this is necessarily a show-stopper. Given that there are no pics of the interior, I’d expect the worst.

Rafikis are well built, but age and neglect takes its toll. If the hull is sound (likely is), and decks aren't too damaged (likely are damaged), the standing rig is OK, and the cabin is acceptable, it can certainly be a good deal. But you’re going to have to invest a fair bit of time and money to bring this one back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Mike
Yeah, just from those few pics it's definitely a project!
Now we're entering our rainy season here on the Northcoast. I don't know how long it's been on the hard, wide open to the elements.
Since I have a sailboat on the water, currently, having a project boat on the hard might not be a bad thing... providing it's fixable without going over my budget.
Not sure it's worth the $10K he's asking, but until I see it in person, crawl in and over it, I'll have to wait to see what I'd be willing to spend on it.
Now I just wait for him to respond back to me, then hopefully a break in the rains to go see it. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just talked to the seller.
His Uncle owned the boat, was in the process of working on her, but passed away.
The Nephew said there are new parts his Uncle purchased, but didn't get into place, in one pic you see a white pickup with a new boom loaded on top of the campershell.
Although the Nephew says he's, "...not a boat guy...", I hope he knows enough about the boat and parts to answer a few questions I have.
I'll go check it out tomorrow... our one day in this 2 week span we should have sunshine for a few hours... and take my little inspection kit along.
I'll get pictures also!
Hopefully find the serial number so I can post which Hull # it is for historical purposes. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should find the hull number just inside the bulwark, embossed in the fiberglass deck, at the port stern of the boat between the stern post and the boomkin. That is where mine is anyway.

As Mike said, these are very well-built boats, but nothing stands up against the elements unchecked. The registration sticker looks to be from the 80s. Has it been in the yard that long?

Hopefully, you find it worthy of restoration, but that can be a very expensive and time-consuming endeavor. It may be years before you can actually use the boat. Unless you find it a labor of love, you might be better off to find something you can sail and enjoy as is.

Mine needs lots of attention, replacements, and upgrades, but I can start the motor and go sailing anytime I want. That costs more up front, but for me, even though I enjoy working on my boat as much as I enjoy sailing it, it is the better decision.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts