SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Iparks, thanks.
Since I have a sailboat to sail already, I'd consider a project on the hard.. BUT.. a dockmate of mine was also considering looking at this boat! lol
I just found out tonight and went to talk to him about it.
He has a liveaboard and sailable boat at the moment, but this would be an upsize for him also.
One of the other considerations is the cost to keep it in the local yard.
I believe it's about $5/ft per month, plus you can't work on it with it in that area.
If you move it to the work area of the yard, it's something around $30+ a day!
Since I'd have to work slowly on it for the next year (considering it has quite a few things to do to it), this boat most likely won't be one I can take on. I don't have the kind of money to leave it where it is until I have all the parts and supplies ready to move it to the work yard and hammerdown on the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So Mike, do you have any pics or information concerning the move of the chainplates? I am not currently intending to move mine, but if ever they prove an issue, I might consider moving rather than replacing like for like. I am particularly curious about any modifications to accommodate the load, such as internal backing plates...

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
So Mike, do you have any pics or information concerning the move of the chainplates? I am not currently intending to move mine, but if ever they prove an issue, I might consider moving rather than replacing like for like. I am particularly curious about any modifications to accommodate the load, such as internal backing plates...
I could post some pics Les. I didn’t make the modifications, and I’ve never sailed a standard Rafiki, so I can’t tell you much about how this change has affected our boat. I like the modification, but I’m sure the standard setup is fine too.

I am away from my boat right now, and am going from memory. I think our stainless steel chainplates are quite long (3 feet), and wide (3 inches), and thick (3/8 to 1/2 inch). There are three or four thru-bolts, each with sizeable backing plates (3” ss). The nice thing is they are all quite accessible from the cabin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a search on facebook for Rafiki Sailboats and got this hit.

because I have less than 10 posts it will not allow me to post a direct link. try looking up Ma.Grizzly on facebook

/Ma.Grizzly/media_set?set=a.10151976158253000&type=1

try typing in facebook dot com before the slash

It is a whole bunch on images of a Rafiki being loaded on a trailer for delivery to a new owner. What was most interesting for me was two images of a sawn section of the hull with the foam core. I won't hazard a guess which part of the boat it came from.... Can any body else identify it?

Elias
Arcata CA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah facebook and the Cambridge analytica stuff sounded pretty heinous. But I think you can just go to that webpage to look without signing up. or maybe not.

I uploaded the two images to my flickr account. But again I can't include a link in my message because I have too few posts. but you can try this

https[colon]//www[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/wildwingwatcher/

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Thanks. I got it.

So the Rafiki got chopped up? Do you know which hull number it was? How sad…

Rafiki hulls are Airx cored down to below the waterline, but stopping a foot or so above the keel encapsulation. So if this is foam (looks like it), then it must be from that area. You can see how the foam peters out at the one side.

My best guess is that this is the stem or bow of the boat, but I’m really not sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No it wasn’t chopped up. It was being sailed in British Colombia as of when the images were posted in 2006. There was no mention of what hull number it is.

Thanks. I got it.

So the Rafiki got chopped up? Do you know which hull number it was? How sad…

Rafiki hulls are Airx cored down to below the waterline, but stopping a foot or so above the keel encapsulation. So if this is foam (looks like it), then it must be from that area. You can see how the foam peters out at the one side.

My best guess is that this is the stem or bow of the boat, but I’m really not sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve got a rafiki 37 I am forced to sell. The boat has been completely refit. All new electrical including a blue seas panel, new plumbing with a instant hot water heater, new beta 38 hp engine, new interior cushions, Engle refrigerator freezer as well as a isotherm refer. The boat is currently in Mexico but I will be bringing it north towards Port Townsend in June of 2019.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all. I'm in the process of buying the Rafiki 37 Sunshine. It was previously owned by Kunkwriter and I'm hoping he is still watching this forum. I'm new here and can't email him directly. So, Kunkwriter if you're still watching, I'd really like to hear from you. Thanks.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I can't offer any insights into the boat but I have a very Twilight Zone story that featured one of them.

Some years ago I was boat shopping with a "wanted" ad on the local Interweb classified forums. One appeared on the market going very cheap so I sent off an inquiry.

Shortly after I got a call from a guy with a thick accent regarding my ad and referring to Rafiki. I presumed it was the 37 but the conversation got very confused until I realized he was calling about an entirely different boat - a Fortune 30 named Rafiki.

I ended up buying it and when we got it home to its new berth, lo and behold, its evil twin, the first boat I had looked at and rejected during that search, was on the other end of the dock, brought there by its new owner.

Then, when we went to sign up for the berth, the clerk handling it turned out to be the sister of both the architect of our house and their brother, the builder and first owner of it.

The boat in front was mine, its twin is at the back. What are the odds?

Attachments

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought Sunshine last weekend. What a way to start the new year!

I'm not that familiar with the cutter rig, I have the bar (don't know what its called) that goes across in front of the mast and 2 short sail tracks that go back from there with blocks on each one. I'm thinking I need a block at the clew, but don't know. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated.

The inside is beautiful, but the outside is going to need a lot of varnishing, but its really going to shine!

Thanks!

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I'm not 100% sure of the tracks and blocks, but I think the "bar" is indeed the traveler on which the staysail runs. It should be mounted on the deck ahead of the mast. Mine is mounted in clear reinforced pads.

I'm away from my boat, and doubt I have pictures of that part, but I'll look tomorrow (it's late now). Maybe the blueprints I have might be of use.

Congrats on the new (old) boat. Rafikis are older now, but they have excellent bones. They're well worth the effort.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Hard to find any pictures of such a boring part of the boat ;). I found this one which shows our staysail traveler. It might help.

I also have a set of original blueprints which I've scanned. I didn't see anything useful in them to address your question, but I can connect you to them if you PM me your email address. They're stored on a Dropbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still too new here to do PM. And I can't send my email till I make a few more posts!
So maybe I could ask a couple more questions. Like, do you mainly use the staysail or the yankee? Do you ever detach the forestay for the staysail? Mine has a pelican hook to release the tension. Thanks.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Still too new here to do PM. And I can't send my email till I make a few more posts!
So maybe I could ask a couple more questions. Like, do you mainly use the staysail or the yankee? Do you ever detach the forestay for the staysail? Mine has a pelican hook to release the tension. Thanks.
I definitely use the yankee more than the staysail, but it very much depends on conditions and point of sail. Wind forward to the beam and we're often flying both sails. Wind aft usually means just the yankee, although it depends on sea state.

If wind and seas really pipe up we'll run just staysail and reefed main.

My forestay is on a furler. Neither stay nor forestay has a quick release hook so never get detached.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings to my fellow Rafiki 37 Owners. I bought mine in 2016 and have been really enjoying her. She's hull number 25, and I changed her name from Shangri-La to Antares. Antares. because that was the name of the slower but steady chariot horse in Ben Hur!

The boat is in San Rafael on SF Bay, which is a great place to practice heavy wind sailing. Though the boat was in pretty good shape when I bought her, I've been making improvements that will provide peace of mind when sailing offshore, which I'm planning to do start doing later this year. My trip from SF to Monterey and back was just an appetizer. I'd like to circle the Farallon Islands as a shake down, then Morro Bay. A trip to Catalina is a must, as I spent so much of my youth sailing with my family there. Then, who knows? The San Juans? Mexico? I'll have to see how it goes.

Cheers!

101 - 120 of 138 Posts