SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We want to take an August cruise to Victoria. I see the note on the Victoria Port Authority reservation page that states:

Please Note: Reservations are available at Ship Point, Wharf Street & Causeway for all size vessels throughout the year. Availability may be limited during events. All vessels moored at any GVHA facility, regardless of reservation or size, acknowledge that they may be rafted to at any time.

The wife and I aren't thinking we'd like to get that cozy just yet. I'd like to hear from you that have been there. In August, am I going to be able to get a slip to myself? I am awaiting a call back from the Port Reservation Office. What were your experiences like? Thanks.

Dave

·
19,488 Posts
We were rafted third boat out one July 1st weekend there - but it was also a Vic Maui year and the fleet hadn't left yet.

Haven't been there since 2006, and that was the only time we were actually rafted out or rafted to. Between the three facilities I'd expect you'd find a solo slip most visits, even in summer.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I can't speak for Victoria, but when Friday harbor, pender harbor, Lund, a few others filled up I saw them rafting. It looked hideous to me. You're paying to have your window inches away from someone else.

Not to be graphic, but if you're going to a romantic location as a couple, how do you possibly have sex when you are tied to another boat? I will never raft unless it's an emergency.

·
19,488 Posts
In Canada pretty well ALL gov't/public marinas allow/require/encourage rafting. Few people will insist if you resist, but really it's about maximizing access with relatively limited facilities, esp in isolated reprovisioning spots.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
NOB: You never stay in hotels? They usually have beds closer together than two rafted boats would be.

I don't like rafting with strangers either, but understand why it happens. It is better than not being able to stay at all, especially in a place without good anchorage options.

If your primary destination in Victoria is Buchart Gardens then you could consider staying in Brentwood Bay. That is a quick dinghy over to the gardens, there is nice hiking nearby, and overall we really liked being in that location. However my wife and I have been to Victoria proper many times and so we were okay with not being in the middle of it. She is an avid gardener (professionally and as a hobby) and so Buchart Gardens was the highlight of our trip to that region last year. Another option would be Sidney (and that is also a couple of hours closer sail than Brentwood Bay, both are farther than Victoria).

If you haven't spent time in Victoria then go there (not Brentwood Bay), it's a great little city.

·
1,409 Posts
I've stayed in hotels, but not where the other bed is occupied by a stranger. Actually even of I were to go on a trip with people less than family/girlfriend, I would want a separate room.

Brentwood bay and Sidney are both on my list this year. I've never been to Buchart. It looks great, and with the whole camera thing, probably wouldn't regret it. I only found out about at anchorage at the very end of last year.

As I returned home last year to check back in to Roche and the US, I looked longing to my right. It was a beautiful and sunny august day, and as I sailed below Stuart island, I saw Sidney island and the spit in the distance. I really wanted to go.

For all my talk of going to California, it's not to diminish The Salish Sea. I miss it. There are so many places I miss and want to see(I'm leaving tomorrow, or the next day, depending how much I get packing, which since I don't like means I shouldn't be online right now). I just don't want fall and winter to come.

Sorry to get talking about myself again. I know this is about rafting, I'm just all over any thread that's about the PNW, which there aren't enough.

What's his other option. Oak harbor? 3-4 miles from Vic?

·
19,488 Posts
Todd inlet is another anchorage that is pretty well IN Butchart gardens, complete with access gate. Both Brentwood and Todd are a long way from downtown Victoria.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Brentwood Bay and Todd Inlet are so close that I personally think of them as about the same thing.

It's easy to get to Victoria from Brentwood Bay by public transit. If you want to spend a day in Victoria and a day at the Gardens it could be a reasonable option, which is why I mentioned it.

NOB: My point was that having a boat rafted to your boat is like having strangers in the hotel room next to you. It isn't the same as sharing a hotel room with strangers.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Dave_E, if you even remotely look like your avatar, I can understand your wife's reluctance to raft up with strangers. :D

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
So the private slip finger is a meter wide and other side is filled with neighbour. Not much different from rafting. Except when inside boat casts you off at 5 am and leaves. A little consideration goes a long ways, like a discussion on permission to cross and where. I grew up with this system and consider it normal. With good neighbours it works well .With jerks, not so well. Victoria gets a lot of foreign vessels but you can always take a mooring at Sidney Spit or Port Browning.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave_E, if you even remotely look like your avatar, I can understand your wife's reluctance to raft up with strangers. :D
George... I knew someday I'd have to share what the Avatar is all about. The first time my wife and I were ever out on a sailboat together (just been married 2 1/2 years) I was out on deck doing what you do on a Columbia 26 that had a hank on jib, raising the main, etc. and she said I reminded her of a monkey climbing all over the boat. Then came "monkey man, monka boy".... you get it. Then one day she found this picture on-line and said I should use it on my sailing forum. So that's the story. She also calls me Thursten, but you've got that one taken. So this is me on our trip last weekend.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies all! You've heard the saying "baby steps, little steps, walk, then run"? That's what I have to do with the wife. She loves sailing, handles the helm at 20 degrees without a flinch, excellent deck hand for docking, keeps house down below, but is VERY private. So we take it all slow. Let her see what it's all about. I'll wait for a call back from the Port Authority before we make a final decision. The trip wasn't going to be until August. We're going to Seattle in June, the San Juans in July for 8 days and then somewhere in August for 8 days.

·
1,409 Posts
Brentwood Bay and Todd Inlet are so close that I personally think of them as about the same thing.

It's easy to get to Victoria from Brentwood Bay by public transit. If you want to spend a day in Victoria and a day at the Gardens it could be a reasonable option, which is why I mentioned it.

NOB: My point was that having a boat rafted to your boat is like having strangers in the hotel room next to you. It isn't the same as sharing a hotel room with strangers.
Oh yeah that makes more sense.

Well, what about boat rocking? Maybe you guys just have bigger boats than mine, I'm just picturing dead calm, it's night....you know.

Well, maybe it's not so bad, I didn't want to stern tie last year either, and I liked that. Still don't think I'd do it though.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Dave, people keep telling me how much I look like Jim Backus (or was it a young Cary Grant?:rolleyes:). We do a lot of rafting down here. A lot. Etiquette dictates that crew on outboard boats cross inboard boats in front of the mast and not the cockpit to aide in privacy. Something that helped out a lot (MrsB is shy by nature too) were custom blinds made by Zarcor in Texas. We had them fitted into our overhead hatches. They work wonderful.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Oak Bay is another alternative to downtown Vic. with single slips and customs check in phone at the gas dock. Very short bus ride from the marina parking lot to downtown. Great restaurant at the marina too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts