SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Boston Whaler that we use to get out to our mooring. The rubrail on the Whaler is black rubber, and it scuffs the white hull of our boat.

I'm thinking of installing that padding you see on Dyer Dinks to cover the black rubrail in an effort to avoid the scuffs, but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know where to find that stuff? Or if you have any other ideas of how to address our problem, I'm happy to hear it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
some people use pool noodles, the long foam things. they split them and drill holes and zip tie em in place. you could also use pipe insulation, but it will shread faster

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Pool noodles are a good idea. I will also suggest using some old fire hose material to protect the dink and hopefully not be too abrasive to hurt your Bene's gelcoat.

·
scurvy dog
57 Posts
you can buy the stuff from Dyer, I have an old Dyer Dhow and it stands the test of time.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Funny you should ask...

I have pool noodles on the sides and because I'm concerned about our dinghy bumping the stern, I'm cutting and permenantly mounting a noodle section on the bow. We have a Portland Pudgy and they just came out with a pretty solid looking fender this year. [noodles cheaper, though I know, you get what you pay for]

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Daniel,

I see you posted this question back in April. Somehow I missed it at the time.

I expect you found something by now, but if you're still looking for the rubrail padding material, you can get it from Jamestown or Hamilton:

Taylor MAde Gunwale Guard

Personally, I'm not sure this is what I'd use on your Whaler. It is good padding material (we have it on two of our dinghies), but I think I'd want something a bit more robust on the Whaler.

I have seen some nice arrangements where several of the smallest size boat fenders are strung with knotted line and hung horizontally along the gunwale on each side of the boat. I would aim for something like that unless the cosmetics deter you --- not everyone warms to the idea of permanently mounted irish pennants.:D

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
If you have a friend in the Fire Department, see if you can get an old 1.5" fire hose and squeeze one or more pool noodles into it and mount it to the gunwhale of your dinghy. It will last several seasons. The hoses come in fifty foot lengths so you should have enough to do that dinghy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts