SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a ranger 23 that I am interested in buying. It comes with a trailer that I would be wanting to store the boat on for the off season. It has what I think are called screw jacks, basically flat pieces of wood, on pivots mounted on poles from the frame. There are four of them. My question is, are four places sufficient to support the boat while on the trailer? Will that be safe while traveling at freeway speeds? Will it cause any damage to the hull if it is stored on the trailer for 4 to 6 months out of the year? I have not seen the boat on the trailer yet, so is it supposed to rest on its keel on most trailers of this type? Also how difficult is it to launch off this type of trailer? On a side note, any tips of stepping and unstepping the mast on a ranger 23 are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Just like storing a boat on stands, the weight of the boat will be carried by the keel. The pads just keep it from tipping over. No problem with storing the boat on the trailer. It's just a cradle with wheels. One thing I would do is jack it up enough so you can put blocks under the trailer so you don't have the weight on the tires for 6 months.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,118 Posts
I only had 4 jacks supporting my boat on it's trailer. Delivered it 523 miles to it's new owner, who then traveled another 900 miles with it. The weight of the boat SHOULD be on the keel. By the way, my boat tracked really well on its trailer I wouldn't hesitate to drag that thing thousands of miles on that trailer. Just check bearings, and tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts