SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ranger22owner
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I have a Ranger 22 (if you didn’t know already from the username). I noticed these hairline/spider cracks at the end of last summer. As I was getting her prepped for this season yesterday I looked closer and noticed they have spread a little bit. The one in the photo is the worst out of all of them. There isn’t any cracking underneath, it’s only surface level (or so I think) and there isn’t any leaking.

I was wondering if this was something I need to be concerned about and act upon right away. Everything I’ve researched seems to say that their fine but it’s more of a cosmetic issue than anything. Also, are there any solutions I can do dockside (I would prefer this method) for I just took her out of dry storage and trying to avoid paying double moorage. Or if it can wait until the end of the season I can do the repairs then out of the water.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
These cracks night be cosmetic but there is something bad underlying. The attached pictures cannot help for the reason of the cracks, but I suspect too much loading from the stays or main sail track. Catalina smile is similiar. Too much load on the boat from the stays which actually pull the boat upwards from the ends while the mast is pushing the middle of the boat down.

Check all possible stress reasons, such as stays, mainsail track and other possible stress points.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
These are in the sides of the cockpit seats? Nothing to worry about. The fiberglass is flexing under load, that load being you when you step (or jump) down onto the seats. The gel coat is less flexible so it cracks.

You could cosmetically fill the cracks, but the only way to prevent more cracking in future is to reinforce underneath, so there's less flex.

All older boats in regular use will have some degree of this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts