SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine and I were having a few after a sail today , and he starts going on about Raspberry pie . I asked , pie and beer ? ? And he says no Raspberry Pi the mini computer , you can buy one and a few other gadgets and make a GPS and a send and receive AIS for the boat for under a hundred bucks . Then he started showing me stuff on his phone , so apparently it's possible . Have any of you done this ? Thanks for any reply , Ms.westi and I will be heading out for a week or so and she won't let me look at her new smart phone (I wouldn't know how to work it anyway) so I will talk to you all later . Have a wonderful 4th !
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Raspberry Pi and arduino are on my ever growing list of things to learn. It's very simple if you have a programmer's mind. I don't. However, we're ham radio operators and there are some things that I'd like to try building.

If you're interested in learning, Coursera has online courses that you can audit for free. You get all the class material and resources but you don't take the tests for the certificate.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
10/20 years ago it was the Motorola Dragon Ball package which many devices were based upon. Most don't realize how similar Cell Phones, Chart Plotters, GPS, Game Boys, Tablets, MP3 Players and such all start out.

Something that this programmer has been considering for a while. I did spend a number of years creating foundation data for GPS systems and writing custom software for cartographers so doing a home project that uses the data via a device based on one of these modules has come to mind from time to time.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,879 Posts
I've got one and played with it in the hopes of developing a programmer to monitor my salt water fish tank.

There are books and kits that will walk you through beginner projects and walk you through more and more complex projects. It's pretty techy and geeky, but fun, to build anything sophisticated you have to get into soldering and programming. They are pretty powerful little tools, the limitations are really how much do you want to invest in programming and tweaking, it takes some effort.

Here is a starter kit. The whole thing reminds me of the Electronics kit I got as a kid that had springs in a board of electronic components. You followed the directions putting wires between components and ended up with different working gadgets.
https://www.sunfounder.com/starterk...uqZxydL1q5ZQABQ9yqGiCczSZdX94LbgaAvnBEALw_wcB

If I wanted to spend $100 on a GPS, there are commercial products already out there that will be easier and more robust.

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Have some arduinos to play with with the kids. Good solid fun. Have thought about doing wind instruments based on it, would be super super easy.

Raspberry Pi is a step up since it runs a full operating system.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've built quite a few Pi3-based devices, and it's not near as difficult/techy as a lot of folks make it out to be although having a bit of Linux background is helpful. Completed projects in daily service include two audio streamers including high quality built-in DA converters, one Kodi-based network multimedia playback device with full 1080p video and digital audio output, and a NAS based on OpenMediaVault software. Of more interest to folks here is the two-channel Stratux ADS-B receiver with AHSR and built-in WAAS GPS I built for flying. It works GREAT. I don't have enough experience sailing to have had a need for AIS yet, but I'm sure the ability to do something similar with a Pi3 is out there.

If you enjoy tinkering with tech stuff even a little bit, the Pi3 is a pretty remarkable device for almost no money. I can't sing its praises enough.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree, I have three of them. One on the boat runs OpenCPN a free shareware chart plotter and a new instrument standard - SignalK. Using the Rpi I can transmit all my instrument data over wifi to phones and tablets on the boat. Worth looking into if you are so inclined.

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first time I used a raspberry-pi like device was in 1983, when I built a traffic light controller as a school project. I've been doing similar stuff for a living ever since, more or less, with various side detours into other software endeavors.

I'm ordering a carton or two of pi's tomorrow for my lab.

You can do all manner of things with them, but it's work, and requires knowledge and experimentation. Whether it's worth it to you depends on whether you like that sort of fiddling, and on whether you're interested in investing the time to make something that saves you some money or solves a problem better than the commercial products out there.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, I have three of them. One on the boat runs OpenCPN a free shareware chart plotter and a new instrument standard - SignalK. Using the Rpi I can transmit all my instrument data over wifi to phones and tablets on the boat. Worth looking into if you are so inclined.

Ron
Hey there,

Im working to get my pi set up. I have opencpn/plotter installed and running fine. I followed a tutorial to set up realVNC to remotely access my navigation system on a tablet in the cockpit. I'm connected to the pi on my tablet via the pi's internal wifi, but now I can't connect my pi to the internet via my wifi Hotspot. I bought a plug in wifi stick, but I'm nervous to set it up for fear of messing with the code I input for the realVNC wifi connection.

Do you perhaps have any insight on how to set up a secondary plug in wifi connection to access the internet?

Thank you for reading,
-Billy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there,

Im working to get my pi set up. I have opencpn/plotter installed and running fine. I followed a tutorial to set up realVNC to remotely access my navigation system on a tablet in the cockpit. I'm connected to the pi on my tablet via the pi's internal wifi, but now I can't connect my pi to the internet via my wifi Hotspot. I bought a plug in wifi stick, but I'm nervous to set it up for fear of messing with the code I input for the realVNC wifi connection.

Do you perhaps have any insight on how to set up a secondary plug in wifi connection to access the internet?

Thank you for reading,
-Billy
I figured it out after a little more research. I found a tutorial on YouTube that covered this. His YouTube channel is SirReal if anyone else reading this thread is interested. The video is called raspberry on a boat #12.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts