SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install the linear drive unit myself and Im told this is a common installation. Does anyone have a picture of one mounted in the Hylas 46 or suggestions? Ours has the typical Edson wheel/chain/wire/quadrant..Thx much.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Doug, I suspect your Hylas came with an AP and your intent is to replace or re-install a missing unity. If that's the case, then look for a similar unity to make your life easier. If your boat is prep for such intall, then follow the manufacturer recommendations. If your project is from scratch, then there is a lot of work you must go on in order to build a solid strut on your hull to support the thrust, including the arm that attaches to your quadrant. These are not easily accomplished as alignment is critical on linear drives, thus I recommend a professional work. All the rest is a lot easier, requiring just a good reading on manual and good sense on ABYC recommendations.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nave Rara - yea the project is from scratch as it never had an AP. Just trying to assess the scope of the project. Been involved in installing a AP on similar boat and just wanted to see if any “lessons learned” or pictures are out there for the Hylas before jumping in. Seems there a couple of ways to skin this cat and I only want to do it once. Thanks much for your thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts