SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading from the Raymarine ST2000 to something more robust like the EV-100 (which replaced the X-5 units recently). I sail an Olson 30, and I'm recently thinking of doing the Bermuda 1-2 in 2015, so the ST2000 will serve as backup only and I'll use the EV-100 as the primary unit. I'm trying to keep things reasonable (and simple), so spending $10,000 US is not in the budget. I also have an e7D as my primary chartplotter, but I'm not accustomed to using the AP as anything more than a dummy helmsman- at this point I'm only thinking of using it to hold a steady course, not maintain a heading based on apparent wind angles; reason being that I can't imagine a major wind shift occurring within a 20 minute window (my sleeping interval for the race) unless a squall is approaching, and I won't be sleeping anyway...

Also- would installing the EV-100 absolutely require connecting it via the Seatalk system? (which I currently haven't installed, since I have a very basic system and prefer to keep it that way, if possible).

Any help from anyone knowledgeable in these areas would be very helpful. I'm waiting to post a similar question to Sailing Anarchy until I get more useful and friendlier responses here... I'm also awaiting approval for posting on the Raymarine tech support site, which takes a while.

Ray

·
Sailor
931 Posts
I think it all comes down to how you use your AP. I have never connected my AP to my e7 and don't really see a benefit of doing so. I don't have a wind instrument so I can't set my AP to sail by wind angle but I don't think I'd want that feature??? I set my route on the plotter, set the boat on its course and engage the AP. If conditions change so I can't keep that course, I simply adjust.

To me; I'd just install the new AP from Raymarine, don't worry about connecting to seatalk or anything, and go on. I've heard good things about the EV pilots so I think your on the right track.

Tod

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Tod- I think the idea of the ap driving to a set apparent wind angle is that it might allow you to sleep a few minutes longer. I think I have to face the fact that each racer will be trying to "out-sleep the other guy"; philosophy being that the better rested skipper makes better and safer decisions. I may clarify this question over on SA to get an idea how significant that is-- I'd hate to lose much vmg just because I'm sleeping.. at least the sails won't be flogging!

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The wind instrument has one other valuable feature. You can turn on a "don't jybe" feature on the autopilot that will allow you sail deep and follow a course up until the point where the boat is at risk of an accidental jybe. Then it will switch to following wind course. I could see this being very useful on the open ocean.

I use the integration between my autopilot and plotter fairly often for coastal cruising. It is handy being able to point to a destination (obviously not straight up wind) and say "go there". This is a little quicker than steering until my boat's course appears to intersect with the destination, then putting the pilot into auto (though I do that too).

·
Sailor
931 Posts
Very true! Good point, Alex

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts