on sale with significant discount
thinking to replace my old aging system,
seeking opinions based on use experience
recommended? nixed?
thank you

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
No direct experience, but I remember a thread recently about this. Discussion centered around high failure rate of the drive unit.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's too bad there isn't a direct competitor to Raymarine autopilots. Crummy product with bad customer service.

On my Catalina 28, I went with a CPT Autopilot. It won't integrate with your other electronics, but it's much easier to install, and is a more robust unit. And, great customer service. If you don't need a lot of connectivity, it's worth considering.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My ev-100 failed in less than 4 months and about 1500 miles.

·
Registered
763 Posts
They're O.K. for fair weather light displacement boats. Not exactly a ringing endorsement I know. Before breaking mine apart when It first started disengaging the clutch I simply tightened the allen screw on the engagement arm and bingo it worked. I think some of the problems with these units is people taking them apart to "fix'" the problem. If you want an honest to goodness real autopilot on a boat above about 8000 lbs displacement you need to bight the bullet and install a unit that attaches directly to the quadrant or drive unit. Unfortunately that would have been virtually impossible on my boat with its shallow pan that contains the radial drive and so in more than about 12 knots of breeze close hauled or much of a seaway the wheel pilot simply doesn't have the power to overcome the pressure that the rudder places on the wheel. On the other hand it certainly beats no pilot at all by a long shot.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hi,

In 2015 I installed an evo 100 wheelpilot on my 2002 c&c 110. I believe the wheelpilot is undersized for the 110, but it was the only autopilot in my price range. Overall i was satisfied with the performance.

good points
relatively cheap - on sale for under $1500 most of the time
relatively easy to install.
easy integration w other instruments (nmea 2000) like plotter, wind, etc.
good performance in moderate conditions

bad points
poor performance downwind
squeaky
need a bungy cord to keep it engaged

for me it has been reliable and has done the job.

my new boat has a below deck pilot and there is no comparison in performance, it it is way more expensive.

barry

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
I have one on my O'day35. I can NOT recommend it. The wheel drive is a piece of non reinforced plastic. Mine broke after 4 years. Just bought a new one to get me from FL to RI, and you can be sure that I will check it once I return to RI.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts
I installed mine on my C&C 32. I don't sail off shore, only on a mountain lake. But I looked at the under deck access to my quadrant, and it just ain't happening.

I've used the pilot upwind, and downwind. I agree it takes the unit quite some time to figure out sea state downwind, but it eventually does. The trick to me was making sure the rate compass was installed correctly, and perfectly centered.

The kit is very plastic, so when I am not using the boat, the whole wheel/binnacle are covered to prevent UV degredation. I am only 1 year into ownership. I've only sailed in up to 30 knot winds with it. I solo sail ALL the time (nearly all, like 99% of the time). The pilot is a necessity for what I do. So it gets LOTS of use. I could see the belt inside the unit having issues over time, and the kit has to fit perfectly so installation is key for sure.

The unit works well for me. You can see the boat hunt as the gusts roll through during this video. This was before I really ironed out the calibration, but it still learned while it was doing this. Quick sail today 12/28/2020 on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia, on my 1983 C&C 32, "Freedom." - YouTube

I don't have $3000 to drop on an under deck kit, and I'd have to cut a huge hole in the cockpit to create some way to work on such an area, so this is my only choice right now.

Option 2 is the CPT. My boat obviously had one of those at one point, as the gear was attached to the wheel when I bought it.
CPT Autopilot Inc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for all your input.
just bought a unit to replace old unit.
agree there are better choices however money is an issue and like most times there is tradeoff between quality and cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts