SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mates,

Am at my wit's end. I have a 1976 Ranger 33 that I cannot sail solo without the brief assist of autohelm to steer through a tack or gybe whilst I handle the lines. The local marina dropped the boat into the water, handed it over to me, only for me to discover -for the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW - that the instruments weren't working (I put in Raymarine i50/i60 & autopilot in 2014). There is power feeding the i50 & i60 (wind, boat speed and depth meter instruments) but NONE are showing valid readings and I can't even run through the Raymarine diagnostic. The ONLY tip was a brief flash of "F4" and not at a time when error codes are supposed to flash, but I looked it up and it corresponds to "Wind Anommeter" , making me think that the marina didn't make the mast-top connection. The marina's reply? "You should buy new instruments; those are so old". Last year I sent them in to Raymarine for bench testing and they reported that the instruments are fine. When I asked my marina to help me troubleshoot, they said they were too busy for at least the next month (and THAT, Mates, is at least 1/3rd of our sailing season up here in Upstate NY!). Does anyone know of any means to test continuity, connections, etc. other than just poking 7 prodding, and hoping that something suddenly changes? Blessing from from saddened heart for any help, advice or suggestions.

DrewSailor

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Raymarine has an on-line support website where you can post a question or search prior questions and answers. You can go to www.Raymarine.custhelp.com to search old questions and answers by keyword. You can also post a question based on your specific facts, but sometimes getting an answer can take forever. (It took more than 2 weeks to get an answer to a question about how to integrate a new set of i50/i60 instruments I am installing with my Raymarine Autopilot, and I have waited another week and still don't have an answer to my request to clarify the first response.)

There is a post on Raymarine's website about a test sequence for the wind sensor, which may help.

Masthead Wind Transducer Test

And here is a link to a post talking about troubleshooting a speed instrument.

If neither of those helps, keep searching by keyword, as I didn't do anything like an exhaustive search. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts