SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not so new Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered already.

My St60 started throwing bad wind speeds last year. It didn't bother me at the time but now I would like to have it fixed.

My research thus far has lead me to believe that the wind transducer is a NON SERVICEABLE part.

If I send it back to Raymarine, I will incure two $100+ charges from the marina (don't even say it not going up there myself), plus the cost of the repair.

Has anyone had this issue, and what was the outcome financially? Curious what Raymarine charged to fix those.

I can get a new ST60 for a little over $400. Then I can pay the marina once to replace it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bad data? Or no data? Bad would most likely be the transducer and no data would probably be the pins fouled at the top. Could be that a little light sandpaper and a couple of pushes on and off would fix it. It might only cost you one trip up the mast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Keetur,

For what it worth, my experience with Raymarine repair has been stellar. A few years ago my (a few months out of warranty) S1G Core Pack stopped working. I called Raymarine explained the situation & received shipping information. Pulled the Pack on a Friday, Fedexed it to Raymarine (Monday delivery), received it on Thursday, installed in on Friday & sailed on Saturday. Charge from Raymarine "$0" - repaired & updated.

Garner

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

On my boat, the wind speed worked fine but the wind direction just spun in circles. I worked with a raymarine tech over the internet to trouble shoot it. The consensus was that the masthead unit was OK but the display unit was defective. I sent it in to Raymarine and they fixed it for $225. I put it back in this spring and it now works fine.

I would suggest contacting Raymarine on their forum and see if you can troubleshoot it a bit before you do anything else. The troubleshooting I did was not difficult, find the junction box and measure voltages on a number of pins.

Start here:
Discussion Forum - Raymarine Technical Forum

Good luck,
Barry

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,083 Posts
I have a ST 60 wind instrument that would occasionally give what seemed like eroneous wind speeds. It can be a variety of settings errors. One time the windspeed was avaraging at a different frequency than the knotmeter and throwing off the TWS and TWA. I also think that the wind speed can be calibrated if its just a small error. I also had the display go bad but thought it was the masthead transducer. Of course one time it was the transducer. That was the time that an osprey had attacked the thing. I bought new set of cups and vane, and all was good again.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
There are adjustment settings.
In addition to the adjustment settings in the manual there is a pointer alignment that sets the angle to the incoming message every 30 (wind) or 10 (close-hauled) degrees. Any Raymarine certified technician can get the protocol. I now do pointer alignment in addition to calibration for every installation and repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts