SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought NOS Raymarine ST60+ knotmeter & depth. The transducer cables are hopelessly long. Would like to get rid of bundle of wire by cutting about 5’ off them. Seem to remember there are some instruments that are tuned to length of lead and shouldn’t be shortened. Manual is no help as it says to check transducer Instructions which I never had. Can I shorten the cables???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Which transducer do you have? If it is just an analog unit then wire length should make no difference, just make sure your connections are good.

On the other hand, if it is a smart transducer like the DST800 that connects to your Seatalk Network you probably don't want to mess with it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mahalo for your replies. Actually have much more than 5' of surplus wire. Found the transducer manuals and they say not to cut the wires and not to run them in bilge. Will find someplace else to store them. Tightly coiled and secured with multiple zip ties and they will be less of a hassle. The PO's rewiring of the boat left wires everywhere where I can store the bundle so will just add to the mess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The manual says not to cut them.

I installed a Raymarine iTC5 (analog to SeaTalkNG converter) right next to the transducers under the vee-berth, ran a SeaTalkNG bus line to the front end of the boat, and (gasp) cut the cables.

I have a Raymarine i70s, and it allows running a 5 point speed calibration for the knotmeter, and allows depth calibration. Works just fine, no bundle of 50' of unneeded cable.

YMMV... but if you have the same set up, it will work just fine.

The ST60+ also allows you to calibrate speed and depth, just isn't as convenient as the iTC-5 and the i70s combo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts