SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a modest multifunction depth and knotmeter for my CS27. I'll be crusing in fresh water on the Great Lakes; especially the North Channel of Georgian Bay so a reliable depth meter is a must. Raymarine looks to be a reasonable choice. I like the ST40 bi-data but I'm looking for opinions on shortcomings of this choice instead of the much more expensive ST60+ tridata.
Both require two holes in the hull to mount the speed and depth sensor
Both display speed, depth, temperature, log and trip although the ST60+ can show three data points at once vs only two for the ST40

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything comparing the two. Thoughts on other options are also welcome.

Thanks

Dave

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You can get a "triducer" that does depth, speed and temp in a single unit. That is an option for almost all the brands out there.

Personally, I chose to go with TackTick, since it made wiring the instrument displays much simpler... no wires. :)

·
78 Posts
DS: Neither require a thru hull for the depth transducer when the hull is solid (not cored). The installation instructions show how.
ST 60 has a larger display. I have had the ST 40 on my Express 30 for 6+ years and am happy with it. For me the difference was $$.
If $$ are no issue consider the TackTick as noted by Sailingdog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts