SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've managed to loose the vane of my windvane. :eek: Replacement is Raymarine Part Number# A28167 to suit a ST60 system. Does anyone have a second hand vane laying around please. Don't really want to fork out for new. Cheers, Roy

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I went thru this this year. Make sure the inside of the actual wand is still intact. I bought, and have the uit you need. Only to find out I had to buy a whole new want too!

If you have a good want that you can tighten the screw into, you are set. Then pm me, as that kit is only about $50-75 us any how.

Marty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I've lost the whole wand arm so need the complete unit to plug into the 5 pin fitting at the mast head thanks. I think th old one was about 300mm long?? would post pic but not sure if this is possible or not?

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
You mean you need the entire transducer unit, not just the vane at the end? You can buy replacement vanes and cups, but it sounds like you need the entire unit.

Unfortunately, these are prone to failure anyway and you would be taking the chance of sending good money down the drain on a used one. I've replaced two in the last 5 years and didn't lose any of them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are you talking Rotavecta masthead unit or the more conventional masthead unit projecting forward off masthead with cups on top and vane below? We have Rotavecta with vertical unit, cups on top with a vane built into one cup. RM emailed saying do not service, replace entire kit (of course). Conclusion made is we haven't needed it for the lake sailing we do so let's live without it.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Are you talking Rotavecta masthead unit or the more conventional masthead unit projecting forward off masthead with cups on top and vane below? We have Rotavecta with vertical unit, cups on top with a vane built into one cup. RM emailed saying do not service, replace entire kit (of course). Conclusion made is we haven't needed it for the lake sailing we do so let's live without it.
Try spraying it with WD40 and then tuner cleaner (hurry - I can only find it at Radio Shack and they may be going out of business).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Aussiecat, you need the entire transducer. No real shortcuts on that. I've been looking for a good used one for a while. There's a seller on ebay, Boaters Resale Shop of Texas, that sells tons of boat gear (they have over 1,000 listings in their ebay store at this moment), and I'm a happy customer, NAYY. You could try them, but they always have about a dozen displays for every one transducer.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
These guys have the good stuff! Some I think you may need to provide some sort of license to order some of the products though. CAIG is leaps and bounds better than what Radio Shack is likely selling.
I think Radio Shack sells a private label of DeoxIT. It is pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brewgyver I'll flick them an enquiry. Trying to avoid the cost of a new one as it's not as critical on the cat as a mono. We tend to just point and go without worrying to much on the when will we arrive bit. Been using the "wet finger wind vane" system for about 18 mths and getting pretty good at it. :confused: cheers

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Not at all following what a wind instrument has to do with cat v mono, or when you will arrive?

Anyway, old school, learn-to-sail trick was to tie a piece of yarn to a stay on each side of the mast. At least as good as a wet finger. Maybe better, as wind in the cockpit is influenced by spill from the sails.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Wind vane at the top, string/yarn on the leading edges of sails, along with the halyards, all helped tell you what was going on. Altho, now that I have a wind vane that shows speed, where it is from, both true and apparent, it is nice to use. but do not use it a lot.

As noted, yes you will need the WHOLE bliken thing. I was not able to get just the wand part. so My purchasing BOTH replacement direction and cups was not the thing to do......

Marty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts