SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed the process of removing my three Bomar hatches from my 1984 Catalina 30. I removed all the paint and I am planning on leaving them unpainted in their natural aluminum state. Is there a product to clean and polish/protect aluminum? I also removed the tinted glass. I would appreciate any advice as to re-bedding both the glass and the hatch frame itself. It looks as though both the glass and the hatch were bedded using butyl caulking but I am not sure. So, my question is should I use butyl caulking to secure the glass to the hatch frame and also to re-bed hatch frame to the deck or should I use marine grade silicone on both? Should I use silicone for one and butyl caulking for the other? Lastly, can you purchase butyl caulking anywhere other than a marine supply store? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
627 Posts
The frames can be cleaned with many things. I would suggest cleaning any clear coat that might be remaining with a paint stripper or lacquer thinner. Then using a wet 1500 micron sand paper will work like a polishing compound, but easier to do.

I would not leave the aluminum bare. It will corrode too fast in a salt environment, like one or two years, even if waxed. Best is to have them anodized, this will last indefinitely. You can paint with a self etching two part epoxy primer and paint, that will last about 10 years, maybe more with the right paint. You can clear coat them. There are a number of products, but UV will eat these finishes just like varnish on wood...5 or so years.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,073 Posts
As far as bedding the hatches, there is actually a product developed expressly for boats called "bedding compound". It's cheap, easy to use and very easy to clean up with turps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts