SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month we will likely buy a sailboat in Florida to use during the winter for coastal cruising and sailing in the Bahamas. We are looking at boats around 34'-37' priced $30-$40,000. Most of what seems to be in that price range is Hunters with a few Catalinas all of 1980's vintage. I am concerned that the ground tackle on all these boats seems pretty light with few if any boats having a windlass. It's almost as though these boats are not intended for anchoring out. Am I stupid to think about using these types of boats for this purpose?

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Lots of people out there are marina-to-marina types. Ground tackle to them is something for eating lunch or taking a dip.

But what's the question - would putting a windlass and a nice big manson supreme really run more than two boat bucks?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
For that kind of money, 1980s vintage is about as new as you can expect. Take a serious look at the Morgan Out Island series while you're down there - it has always been a popular cruiser boat for the Bahamas, shallow draft, stable, sails well, lots of interior and exterior space, and lots of creature comforts.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
618 Posts
To the OP's question: no, those boats should be fine for those purposes. Ground tackle doesn't always reflect capability -- sometimes seller's will pull the good stuff and bring it to their next boat or (as was already mentioned) they just didn't anchor much. Lotsa good boats in your price range -- especially considering it is a buyer's market. Windlass certainly shouldn't be too much to hope for at that price point either! Luck!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Ground tackle is cheap and simple in the scheme of things. You buy what you want and tie it in, you're done.

When those boat were new, electric windlasses were about as common as Blu-Ray players. Literally. So it is no surprise that you won't find top-end top-dollar luxury fittings on an older commodity-grade boat. But if you want it, again, that's a bolt-in. You may want to job that out but it is just carpentry and some cabling. A windlass probably also will demand some wiring and a more robust electrical system than most casual cruisers would have bought, so that's gonna be a bigger ticket upgrade. But still, something that can be done overnight in any competent yard.

·
Registered
541 Posts
...I am concerned that the ground tackle on all these boats seems pretty light with few if any boats having a windlass. It's almost as though these boats are not intended for anchoring out. Am I stupid to think about using these types of boats for this purpose?
Be concerned more with the structural parts of the boat, the sails, engine and the standing/running rig. Once you find one with good bones that passed the survey, then outfit accordingly to your sailing/destination requirements. To find a sail-away turn-key boat could happen but unlikely.... and follow Gary's pointer - also look at the Morgan O/I 33s they are great sailing boats for your intended use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts