SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I saw the movie "Styx" at the Annapolis Film Festival. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5942864/ In this movie a woman doctor single-hands her boat (appears to be a roughly 40 foot Grand Soleil) from Gibraltar towards Ascension Island off of Africa. The movie does a very realistic job of showing what it is like to be at sea alone (something very few movies seem to get right). The cinematography is beautiful as well, and is used to set context in very creative ways and seemingly putting you on board without makng a 'look at how good a photographer I am' kind of a statement. While this is a good sailing movie, it is the ethical non-sailing issues raised by this movie that really separate it from being simply a good sailing movie (in a very moving and thought-provoking way.) In all ways, this is everything that the movie 'All is Lost' was not.

For what it is worth, this is a 2018 European movie but it is mostly in English. I think that it has a limited release in the US showing perhaps only at film festivals and at art-house movie theaters but it may be available through some of the streaming services or other online sources.

And while there were almost no scenes which seemed inauthentic or contrived, there is one very minor sailing item that left me wondering. This boat has all of the halyards led back to the cockpit, yet whenever the skipper raises the main halyard you see her doing so from the mast. I have heard of people who prefer to do that even though the halyards are led aft with the idea that there is typically less friction that way. That works well when there is someone in the cockpit to tail. But it does not work well when single-handing since there is no way to tie off the halyard once its up. Sometimes single-handers who do that have a cam cleat on the mast that allows them to temporarily belay the halyard and then the geometry of the mast exit box and turning block releases the halyard from the cleat when the halyard is tensioned from the cockpit. I did not see that set up on this boat and wondered if anyone else who sees the movie has any idea why they show the main halyard being raised from the mast.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
This weekend I saw the movie "Styx" at the Annapolis Film Festival. ....

This boat has all of the halyards led back to the cockpit, yet whenever the skipper raises the main halyard you see her doing so from the mast. I have heard of people who prefer to do that even though the halyards are led aft with the idea that there is typically less friction that way. That works well when there is someone in the cockpit to tail. But it does not work well when single-handing since there is no way to tie off the halyard once its up. Sometimes single-handers who do that have a cam cleat on the mast that allows them to temporarily belay the halyard and then the geometry of the mast exit box and turning block releases the halyard from the cleat when the halyard is tensioned from the cockpit. I did not see that set up on this boat and wondered if anyone else who sees the movie has any idea why they show the main halyard being raised from the mast.

Jeff
Shiva has all the "mast" lines led to the coach roof under the dodger. She also as a Spinlock rope clutch where the main halyard exits. Of course it has to be opened to let the halyard drop. And the clutch is used when raising the main at the mast.

Now that I use a drill w/ winch bit in the cockpit I use the coach roof winch. Mast mounted clutch is left open or simply bypassed.

It certainly is much easier to raise the big heavy many MANUALLY from the mast.

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick answer. The boat in the movie did not seem to have a rope clutch or a cam cleat on the mast. But since you both have the same set up, I have another question for you both; When you are sailing, do you leave the handle on the clutch open, or do you go to the mast to release it when you want to ease the halyard or drop the mainsail?

Thank you,
Jeff

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
If anyone identifies an online way to see this movie (preferably legal), please post it. I’d like to watch it. Not on Netflix.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Can get the mains up more that 2/3rds of the way from the cockpit before needing the winch on my two boats with main halyard led aft. Do a little better at the mast but not enough to make it the go to way to raise the main. Almost always raise the sail from the cockpit. You are right, do need a way to stop the halyard when working at the mast. Installed a clutch at the mast to solve the problem. Find the clutch really handy as there are a lot of times I need to stop the main halyard at the mast when doing other than raising the sail. Lowering and flaking the sail single handed is easier from the mast and requires multiple lowering of the sail, stopping it, flaking the sail, tieing it off, and lowering it some more. Usually only do that when getting ready to put the sail cover on as the Lazy Jacks take care of just dropping the sail. Boats are 28' and 35', might be different for a larger boat.

Have a feeling that the predominance of scenes working the main halyard at the mast might be for dramatic effect than need. Hauling on the halyard standing at the mast makes for a better picture.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Thank you both for the quick answer. The boat in the movie did not seem to have a rope clutch or a cam cleat on the mast. But since you both have the same set up, I have another question for you both; When you are sailing, do you leave the handle on the clutch open, or do you go to the mast to release it when you want to ease the halyard or drop the mainsail?

Thank you,
Jeff
Actually I was incorrect the jib halyard has the spinloc. The main halyard has a jam cleat which I usually just bypass to the side.. But if the line is running through the cleat I would have to lift it out to lower the sail. In practice this means I don't need someone to tail or remove the pile. I do that from the cockpit and winch it up tight with the line bypassing the cleat. Then it is free to run reefing or dropping and I don't have to go to there mast.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
FWIW, it is currently at the Avalon Theater in Washinton, DC
Thanks. That would be a long way for date night. I checked our local independent film theater and it's not even on their radar for the next several months.

I found one online source, however, it gave me a screen saying copyright or some such prevented them from streaming it to the USA.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
http://yftcabinet.com.my/[murl] wp-content/uploads/movie_65923_1080p_MPEG2.torrent [I edited and cut that link as it has no explanation. If it's a torrent link breaking copyright then it's not right for us to leave it up. Sorry. Mark]

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had assumed that someone like Netflix or Hulu would have the movie. I also assumed it might be on some kind of limited release to art theaters and festivals since I saw it at a festival. I did a quick search online and I only found a few mentions of it showing in the States and no reference to it with the screening services.

I have to assume that there is some kind of copyright or distribution issue, but I would be surprised that would be an issue for very long given the strong positive press reviews. This could easily be a successful general circulation movie.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Shiva has all the "mast" lines led to the coach roof under the dodger. She also as a Spinlock rope clutch where the main halyard exits. Of course it has to be opened to let the halyard drop. And the clutch is used when raising the main at the mast.

Now that I use a drill w/ winch bit in the cockpit I use the coach roof winch. Mast mounted clutch is left open or simply bypassed.

It certainly is much easier to raise the big heavy many MANUALLY from the mast.
My setup is just like SanderO’s. Before adding single line reefing and leading the main halyard back to the cockpit, I would manually raise the main at the mast. Not a difficult task when the winds are reasonable.

But when we led everything back, the added drag raising the main was noticeable, more so because a short winch handle was required to clear the dodger. The drag from the reef lines was also significant—even with Karver blocks on the main. After a couple of years we bought a Winchrite “Cordless Winch Handle” which made life a whole lot easier. The Winchrite is pricey, but it is a well-engineered, slick piece of gear.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
This boat has all of the halyards led back to the cockpit, yet whenever the skipper raises the main halyard you see her doing so from the mast. I have heard of people who prefer to do that even though the halyards are led aft with the idea that there is typically less friction that way.

Jeff

I would think its a cheat to show more action. Its a wonderful shot watching a person haul down and the sail go up.
Most day charter tourist cruise boats get the clients up on deck hauling the sail up... obviously not needed but looks and feels great.

Doing it alone leaves a huge puddle of tangled halyard to then pull through 2 or 3 bocks till its in the cockpit. Few would love that :)

No solo sailor would want the halyard at the mast and reefing lines in the cockpit. could you imagine that!?

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
XXXXXXXhttp://yftcabinet.com.my/wp-content/uploads/movie_65923_1080p_MPEG2.torrent
I broke the link, so no one would click on it in my reply. My anti-virus software says this link distributes malware. What were you trying to post.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
A torrent file to DL the film, just plaintext can't hurt anything.
I didn't know what a torrent file was, so I looked it up. Says they can be used to illegally download copyrighted material. If that's the case, I'm not going to do it. I'm happy to pay the vig to watch what sounds like a good movie.

If it's somehow a link to legal access, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
571 Posts
I didn't know what a torrent file was, so I looked it up. Says they can be used to illegally download copyrighted material. If that's the case, I'm not going to do it. I'm happy to pay the vig to watch what sounds like a good movie.

If it's somehow a link to legal access, please let me know. Thanks.
Apple store has it listed as Pre-order, so I am guessing it is not out in general release yet—expected July 2, 2019 (although that's the Canadian store so who really knows).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts