SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

I am not sure if this is an OK question or not. I am afraid it might be a Mac/PC, Protestant/Catholic type of issue. If this is an inappropriate question, moderators, feel freee to delete it.

OK - here goes:

Scenario:

1. We will be sailing our "new to us 1980 sailboat" from the Annapolis area to the east coast of Canada this summer.
  2. We feel it is a pretty good idea to get some kind of service that is the equivalent of our CAA (Canadian Automobile Association). A tow it, help me type of service in case of emergencies
  3. I understand that there are two major suppliers of this service
  4. It does not matter to me the affiliation of the service
  5. The cost for what I want seems pretty close
Considerations:

• Our normal summer sailing is off New Brunswick, Canada and the coast of Maine
  • Both services seem to want a named "home operating area"
  • I prefer to hear what is good about a service rather than what is bad about the other one.

Suggestions please, if this is allowed.

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here in Long Island Sound, I hear a lot of radio calls to Sea Tow, which we use.

If you're looking for coverage for your transit, I'd check the locations posted on each provider's Web site and look for proximity of locations along your proposed route. IMHO, if you call for help, the first thing you want is a quick response.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO, if you call for help, the first thing you want is a quick response.

Roger that
- the coverage seems to be about the same (in fact, almost exactly the same.) In Maine there seems to be one towing location and it is the same from both. (Portland, ME)

:)

Rik

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Good idea!

I've used Sea Tow since they've been around. I've been towed in once, helped w starting once and been lent a fuel can once, you can borrow their cans but due to red tape reg, they can't 'sell' fuel :confused: . All were pretty long runs and the response was super. In all fairness though BoatUS is in our area too and I've been very impressed from the response I've seen while on the water. I certainly wouldn't want to be without the service.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I use TowBoatUS and have been pleased with their service. There's also discounts (fuel, slips, repairs, etc) associated with the BoatUS membership that's a part of it.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd second TowBoatUS since the Boat US membership comes with it... and has benefits of its own that you can't get with SeaTow.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! I think you might be that group from New Brunswick we met last July 26th for a late (3:30) lunch at the Edgewater Green Turtle who had just purchased an Irwin 34.

I use BoatUS (BoatUS.com: BoatUS Home Page) and suggest you check with them. They have modest rates for membership which includes short haul towing. For increased fees you can add towing up to unlimited towing.

If I can be of any assistance on the Maryland end or if you need any assistance when you come to retrieve your new boat, let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts